This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As I rushed to the train station in the wee hours of the morning, iced caramel macchiato in one hand and last month’s Vogue in the other, I was pleasantly surprised to find my dear friend Dessie Jackson looking as stunning and effortless as ever, gazing down the railway.

It is always a treat to see Dessie, who is as captivating as her life is fascinating. This bombshell artist has been doing big things lately. As my friend Ellen likes to put it, “Dessie’s flawless and her life is enviable, but you can’t get mad at her because she’s the nicest person you will ever meet.”

It’s true. Dessie is a full time student at the Tyler School of Art, with a major in painting and drawing. It would be a gross understatement to say that Dessie has a demanding calendar. On top of her busy school schedule, she has been doing multiple projects for some noteworthy clients. She told me all about it on our reunion ride back to campus.

Her repertoire of significant commissions includes designing a hauntingly beautiful t-shirt for Los Angeles founded apparel line The Hundreds, creating album artwork for rapper/singer Gilbere Forte and currently painting 20 pieces for a restaurant in SoHo, NY. Ten of the pieces will be displayed during the day, only to be switched out at night by the other ten, more “nightclub” inspired pieces.

In addition to creating stirring, unique art everyday, Dessie generously gives “wings” to those students and patrons who need it most through her job as a Red Bull girl.

AND (yes, there’s more) adding to her celebrity status, Dessie was featured in a Texas in July music video and she just recently received her Zumba instructor certification. When asked what’s next in her creative adventure of a life, Dessie remarks, “I’m in hopes to graduate this year and I plan on continuing making.  Making artwork.  Where that will take me? Or what I will be working on?  I have no clue.  I’m not afraid of those questions though.  I know I’m a hard worker and I know that I will figure it out and it will be worked out, as well.”

Wondering how she does it all and still stays fabulous? Dessie has some advice for all of you aspiring artists.

“Keep working.  Don’t compare yourself to anyone or anyone’s work. Nothing ever bad came out of working hard. Oh, and those nights you freak out and ask yourself why and what and where am I and am I wasting my time while surrounded by like 15 empty seven eleven coffee cups, breathe and know that you’re doing what you love so at the end of the day or the year or your life, you consciously made the decision to spend your time that way—passionately.  And that’s what should keep you going.”

Interested in Dessie’s working? You can join her over 10 thousand followers on Instagram and 8 thousand followers on Tumblr.

Photos by: Danielle Parsons

Savannah is a graduate of Temple University, now pursuing her lifelong dream of living in NYC. She enjoys perusing second-hand books stores, staring at the work of Egon Schiele, and listening to Keith Richards shred his electric guitar.
Jennifer Nguyen is a senior journalism student at Temple. She has been a part of Her Campus Temple since its formation in 2010 and being a part of HCTU has been one of the best things she has ever done. She aspires to be a magazine writer in New York after graduation. Jennifer is passionate about learning more about the world around her and hopes to travel the world one day. As a journalist, she strives to share the stories of people whose voices need to be heard. In her spare time, she loves reading French literature, learning languages and watching Bravo reality TV shows.