American Horror Story’s Suspenseful Sixth Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Every American Horror Story fan was anxiously waiting for the sixth installment of the suspenseful and frightening television thriller. The hype this season was intensified because only the cast and crew knew what the theme was before the first episode aired on September 14.

It was hard to guess what the theme could be considering the “teasers” were all very different and too short to determine the plotline of this season, until the first episode finally aired and the theme, “American Horror Story: My Roanoke Nightmare,” was revealed. Despite the fact that this season, like all the others, contains several graphic, gruesome scenes, fans were excited because it was different than anything that was ever done on the show.

Each episode flips between one-on-one interviews and re-enactments of the main characters as they tell the tales of their “Roanoke Nightmare.” The two main characters, married couple Shelby and Matt, quickly realize that they are being haunted by ghosts of the past as unusual things begin to occur inside their new home. At first they do not think much of these odd instances, and it is not until Matt’s sister, Lee, and her young daughter, Flora come to visit where things begin to seem real. After Flora is taken away by a mysterious young ghost, Priscilla, Matt, Shelby and Lee all realize that they are not alone in their home.

The first few episodes are mainly Matt, Shelby and Lee searching for Flora in the woods and even calling in a ghost whisperer to help. When they finally learn that she was not just taken by the young ghost Priscilla, but a psychotic ghost that is referred to as “The Butcher,” they realize that the situation is worse than they could have expected. After several different twists, turns and new characters, Flora is finally found. Unfortunately, the Butcher stops at nothing to kill those who reside on the land she calls her own.

Last week’s episode was the most thrilling and suspenseful episode this season thus far. For starters, it was the first episode that fan-favorite Evan Peters was introduced into the storyline. His new character, Edward Philippe Mott, was a slave owner who was the original creator of the house that the Roanoke colony cannot seem to leave alone. During the episode, Matt, Shelby and Flora are shown trying to escape the house and the terrifying ghosts that surround them, but they encounter several issues and people who will not let them leave. At the end of the episode it appears that the Butcher finally has them where she wants them and is prepared to slaughter them at the stake.

In a turn of events, her own son decides to put an end to his mother’s tragic actions, pulls her into the fire with him, and the two of them burn away together. Matt, Shelby, and Flora all manage to escape with the help of Lee.

The end of the episode alludes that the character’s Roanoke Nightmare has come to an end and that they are now free to live their lives without worry of the Butcher and her accomplices. Fans were shocked, confused and intrigued by this ending because the season has only just reached its halfway point. The previews for next week are incredibly vague and leave viewers wondering where Ryan Murphy and the rest of the writers and going to take this season.

Ultimately last week’s episode left fans just as curious and confused as they were before the season began. Now, as we impatiently wait for Wednesday’s new episode, we are left without answers to several questions. Where is the storyline going? How does this season connect to the others? Will Evan Peters’ new character still be in the show? Is the Butcher actually gone for good?

We will all have to wait and see if any of these questions are answered after next week’s episode. 

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.