8 Scary Movies on Netflix You Need to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Leggings, sweaters, boots, and most importantly Halloween! To celebrate, I put together a list of some of my favorite horror movies that are streaming on Netflix right now to get you in the Halloween spirit.  

1. The Houses October Built

In this chilling horror flick, five friends pack their bags and go on a road trip finding the scariest haunted attractions in America. On their way, they find themselves being tormented by people inside the different haunted houses they visit. The last haunted house they go into might be their last. This film is a found footage type movie, which is my personal favorite.

2. It Follows

It Follows is about a girl who contracts this unknown illness where she is followed by different people, but the thing is, no one else can see them but her. To get rid of her illness, she must have sex with someone else so they get it instead. The moral of the movie is showing the dangers of STDs and how deadly they can be.  

3. The Unborn

A young woman named Casey is being tormented by the spirit of a little boy. To get rid of the evil spirit that she is being haunted by, she must find someone to help her by performing an exorcism before it’s too late. Lots of jump scares in this one!

4. Would You Rather

“Would You Rather” games are usually fun to play, but not this one. A group of strangers must go through difficult “Would You Rather” questions to win something that they need desperately: money. These questions are very dangerous, and some very gruesome, so choose carefully.

5. V/H/S

Another found footage movie, yay! A group of guys break into a man’s house and find a lot of VHS tapes. These tapes show different stories, and they’re all pretty scary. There are 3 V/H/S films and they are all streaming on Netflix. So if you liked the first one, be sure to check out the next two.

6. #Horror

A group of friends throw a slumber party. It’s all fun and games until they realize that they are being hunted by a serial killer. This movie should be put in the comedy section as well as the horror section because it’s funny, but also a little scary.

7. The Craft

Four high school girls are rumored to be witches, which is totally true, once they find out. They use their newfound powers for good, but also for evil. Witches are definitely my favorite. The history behind them is so interesting and this is one of my favorites!

8. Kristy

Everyone on campus is gone for Thanksgiving break except for Justine, the security guard for her dorm, and the groundskeeper. Things start going bump in the night when the lights start flickering and someone whispers the name “Kristy.” Justine realizes that she is being hunted by three people who are up to no good.

Now that you’ve read through the entire list, go grab a blanket, a bowl of popcorn, and your laptop because we guarantee watching these films will get you into the Halloween spirit!

Happy October!

Ashley is a senior journalism major at Temple University. She loves music, concerts, and celebrities. She loves to write all things fashion, lifestyle, and pop culture! Instagram: ashleygale23
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus