This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We are all pros of online school now. With the announcement of remote learning halfway through the Spring semester and with our Fall semester being online as well, this is our new reality. The second time around, I am reflecting on my virtual learning experience. This seems like a never ending, burnt out, wake up, log onto Zoom, do school work, go to bed cycle. Whether you’re in an apartment close to campus or in your childhood bedroom, the abnormalcy of this routine can drive you crazy. 

Our whole lives, we sat at desks, interacted with our teachers and classmates face to face, socialized during lunch, and got fresh air during recess or while walking to classes. The pandemic has changed school for us as we’ve always known it, and is putting us through an uncomfortable and tough learning period. Thinking about navigating my school week online is pretty bleak. It has definitely taken a toll on my mental and physical state. There is no textbook on how to improve our lives during a pandemic and a week full of Zoom lectures, but I have accumulated a list of 5 things I like to do for myself each day. These activities provide something other than online school and make me feel a little bit more sane.

Getting Dressed

No, you don’t have to put on jeans, but you can if you want! Starting your weekday mornings by getting up and getting dressed will be transformational for you. It can be comfortable, like leggings and a cute sweatshirt, but it has to be something other than the pajamas you’ve been sleeping in. Get out of the habit of wearing the same clothes you slept in and it will make you happier to put some effort into yourself. I believe when I’m dressed and somewhat put together, I am more productive and it’s more likely for me to be productive. Getting dressed and putting yourself together is just one thing you can do for yourself to make the day feel more normal, even if you’re not leaving the house. 

Move Your Body

I’m sure most of you reading this were all a part of the Chloe Ting workout challenge. I was not a part of the workout fad, but I did try a fair share of the trends. To make your day a little more sane, start prioritizing moving your body throughout the day. It doesn’t even have to be at a gym. Go for walks before class, after class, or before dinnertime. Catch up on your favorite podcasts or listen to the music you like. This will be great for your mental health. Make this into a routine. You can also try yoga if you never have; it’s a great mind, body, and soul connection. Us young adults aren’t supposed to be sitting and looking at a computer all day. Getting into the routine of moving around for yourself will really ground your thoughts and disconnect you from the computer. 

Journaling

I know journaling isn’t for everyone and can be hard to keep up with at times.  Start with the goal of journaling for 7 days straight. Writing down your thoughts and venting on paper will be really healthy for your mind. Sometimes talking to someone out loud about your feelings can be hard, so try writing your thoughts down every morning before the school day or at night before bed. Also if you don’t have anyone to talk to about those feelings, your journal will become super handy. Another great thing about journaling is that it will be a great self reflection tool for yourself. You can read your entries as time passes and see how you’ve changed and grown as a person.

Reading Something YOU Want To

School, online or not, is full of readings. Take time out of your day to read something that interests and pleases you. Start the book you’ve always wanted to read. Try 10 pages in the morning and 10 at night. This will take your mind off school work and to a new place. If reading isn’t your thing, read your favorite blog post or magazine. Reading will always be beneficial to your mind and a great way to spend your time away from the screen.

Socialize

Talking to professors and classmates on Zoom can get boring. Also, enough of talking about school all day! Get outside of your room and talk to your roommates. Try planning a movie night with them or make it a priority to eat meals together, even if it’s just dinner. Talking to them and creating friendships is amazing for your mental health. Don’t forget about your social life. Live at home? Get out of your room and talk to your brothers and sisters or parents about your day. Never go a day without human interaction. If you live alone, use your phone to stay in touch with the important people in your life. Facetime and call family and friends. Get a laugh in. Lean on your people during this time. 

Overall, take time for yourself. Make your day something other than staring into your computer and typing discussion posts. It will drive you insane. If you make these little things a habit in your day to day life, your days will seem fuller and more worth it. There is definitely a line that gets crossed in your personal life and mental wellbeing when it comes to online learning. Dedicate a normal amount of time each day for school, and take the rest of the time doing something to better yourself. You deserve it. 

Hi! My name is Madeline, I'm a sophomore and I'm a Media Studies and Production Major. I'm from South Jersey and I spent most of the summer down the shore. I am either in complete beach mode or complete city mode. I see myself living in the city at one point of my life and would also love to have a beach house of my own when I’m older. My surroundings and atmosphere that I’m in really reflect my mood and day to day life. I love to hangout with friends, read, do yoga, and I just recently learned how to surf and got into running! :)
I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!