5 Lessons to Learn from your First Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

This past summer was the first summer that I stayed in the city. It was also the first time I had a real internship. I had small virtual internships, but this summer I got to get up and go to work for a real company. As a college student, there’s so much pressure to get an internship and to get that valuable work experience that is so sought after by employers. There is much to learn from a “first internship”, but I rounded up the five most meaningful lessons I learned this summer.

1. Be Curious

Ask questions and actually learn about your company and your position. It’s easy to just go to work every day, but going above and beyond not only makes you look good, it also benefits you in the long run. You’re there to get valuable work experience, so ask all the questions you can now.

2. Be Respectful

This goes without saying, but there’s more to it than not telling the CEO of your company that he has bad breath. Be respectful of your fellow interns and of the company itself. Show up early and stay late if you have to. Show that you actually care.

3. Fake it, if you have to

I’d be lying if I said every internship experience is a great one. Sometimes you just realize that what you thought you wanted to do really isn’t for you or maybe you dislike the company. If for whatever reason you don’t like your internship, try your hardest to hide it or at least do your best possible work. You don’t want to be the “bad” intern.

4. Do more

This is something everyone who has ever had an internship will tell you, you have to do more. Sometimes your supervisor won’t give you a lot to do and you are left with two options. You can stare at your computer screen until you have to leave or you can ask someone else for more work. I worked at a very small company and those people wear a lot of hats. They can always use an extra hand. It makes you look like you care and are interested in the work you are doing which is bonus points for you.

5. Learn from your mistakes

If you’re a perfectionist like me, failure is extremely difficult. I’m just starting to learn after 20 years that failure is okay and can be a good thing. It makes you stronger and smarter, two things we all want to be. If you made a mistake at your internship or anywhere, take a step back and really think about it. Life is one big learning experience and you’re still in the beginning of it.

Always remember to take everything you can from each of your internships. This is the one time in your life where you’re able to actually try a place out without committing to work there. If you work hard and show that you care, you’ll be well on your way to your dream job, or even your dream internship

Madeline is a sophomore Advertising major at Temple University. She is a total fashion junkie. You can usually find her in a thrift store or at the clearance rack looking for the best prices. She also has a strong love of social media, cats and 90's music. When she's not writing about fashion or beauty, she's writing short stories and poetry or taking photos. She is most happy when she is able to be her quirky, creative self. Madeline can be reached at madeline.archambault@temple.edu. You can also follow her on instagram @madelinearchambault.
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.