bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

5 Exercises You Can Do in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

We all promise ourselves at the beginning of the year we are going to hit the gym to avoid that pesky Freshman 15 or just to say in shape, but after long lectures, endless exams, and never-ending essays, going to the gym seems like an unachievable quest.

When you do gather the energy to head to the gym, it’s crowded and overwhelming. It can be a vicious cycle of no motivation and self loathing. Here are five equipment free and dorm room friendly workouts to keep you going throughout the semester.

1. Russian Twists

These twists will give you six pack in no time. Lay down on the floor and create a V shape with your body. Then fully extend your arms and clasp your hands. Then simply twist your torso side to side. Preferably, this should be done with some type weight. But if you don’t have a medicine ball or a barbell on hand, you can always use that Political Science textbook you haven’t used yet.

2. Plank Hip Dip

Another ab blasting workout is the plank hip dip. Start out in a low plank position, supporting yourself on your forearms. Then rotate your hips and dip to one side, almost touching the floor. Return to the starting position and repeat with the other side.

3. Triceps Dips

In contrast to the plank hip dips, these dips works on building your triceps. All you need for this exercise is a chair. Sit on the edge of the chair and grip the chair next to your hips and outstretch your legs. Push yourself up so you’re hovering over the chair, and then move forward so you’re in front of the chair. Then, lower yourself until your elbows are about 90 degrees and your butt almost touches the ground, push yourself up, and repeat.

4. Jumping Squats

You could do regular squats, of course. But jumping squats allow you to build more strength and muscle. Start out with a regular squat, with your feet shoulder-width apart. Then jump up and explode. After you land, return to the squat position. The hard part of this exercise is to have control and land quietly.

5. Wall Sits

This exercise is probably the easiest to maneuver but the toughest one to get through. Just stand against a wall or door, squat, and hold. You can place your arms against the wall, crossed in front of you, or outstretched in front of you. There are no recommended reps and sets for this one, but you can time yourself to your favorite song or podcast.

These exercises make a great simple and quick circuit you can do in between class, after work, right when you wake up, or on those day it’s too crappy out to get to the gym.