4 Celebrities That Embody #GirlPower Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.
As women, we are constantly bombarded with the media telling us how to look, dress, act and “be successful.” We live in an era when the number of likes on your Instagram post directly correlates to your sense of self-worth. We are governed by the Kardashians and the Victoria’s Secret Angels. Girls all over the world are more exposed to more Miley than Malala.  This is a silent scream for help. We cannot raise the next generation of girls with such a twisted misconstrued version of what it means to be a woman. Luckily, we have extremely famous women that advocate for change. AnnaSophia Robb, Karlie Kloss, Beyoncé and Lena Dunham are all positive role models for young women now and for the women of tomorrow.

AnnaSophia Robb, known for her roles in “Because of Winn Dixie” and “The Carrie Diaries,” is a strong advocate for feminism and basic human rights. She especially defends those who are voiceless in society, and is present among those fighting against human trafficking all over the world. She is a part of the A21 Campaign, which organizes events to raise awareness for human trafficking. Robb is also an advocate of Planned Parenthood and the services they provide for breast cancer, STI’s, pregnancy and contraception. She believes that women should govern what they do with their bodies- not the government. Robb is only 21-years-old, but she is deeply involved in organizations that feed her passions, which is vital for women at every stage of life. She encourages people to pay it forward in any way possible, just check out her website. 

Karlie Kloss is one of the top ten models, and has worked for companies like Victoria’s Secret, Marc Jacobs, Dolce & Gabbana and is currently signed with IMG. While an exceptional model, Kloss is also an extraordinary humanitarian. She created the scholarship Kode with Karlie through the Flatiron School Pre-College program. She gives 21 young women the opportunity to learn code and pursue their passions, before they even get to college. Without the financial assistance given to them, these women would never get the chance to fulfill their dreams of learning code. Kloss herself even teaches some of the courses and is studying at New York University! In addition to Kode with Karlie, she is also an advocate for a healthy, balanced lifestyle, which is something you don’t always see from women who walk the runway. 

Beyoncé is, well actually, you know who Beyoncé is. The ultra-famous femme fatale we all know and love is also a philanthropist. After Hurricane Sandy, she helped to create the Survivor Foundation, which provides transitional housing for victims of natural disasters. In 2013, she partnered with other women for a Gucci campaign called “Chime for Change”, meant to spread female empowerment. Beyoncé also spreads #girlpower through her music. Her song “Pretty Hurts” describes a woman’s struggle to feel beautiful in our society. And who can forget “Run The World (Girls)?!” This song focuses on the strength and willpower of women; just look at the line:

“To other men that respect what I do please accept my shine
Boy you know you love it how we’re smart enough to make these millions
Strong enough to bear the children then get back to business.”

And finally, remember ladies, Beyoncé doesn’t have a thigh gap, so you don’t need one either.

Lena Dunham is an actress, author, producer and director, but you’d mostly know her from her radiant body positivity and her role on HBO’s series, “Girls.” Lena’s body has caused much critique by Hollywood, but her confidence and wit put the critics right back in their place. Dunham exercises regularly (she’s a part of the Mile High Running Club and has a personal trainer) while maintaining a balanced diet. She also spends much of her energy on her mental health. One of her quotes on Instagram is this: “When you take the time and space you need, kindly and responsibly, you’re suddenly available to the people you love in a whole new way.” Dunham is also a known feminist. While many celebs claim to be feminists these days, she’s the real deal. She’s an advocate for Planned Parenthood, she promotes gender equality, she’s a supporter of #Hillary2016 and she even owns a sweater with a uterus stitched on it. Lena, can we be you?

These four women epitomize girl power. They are changing the world as we know it, helping it become more appreciative of women and our (many) strengths. I do not want my future daughter crying because she doesn’t have a body like the girl on the cover of a magazine like I did. Our girls need to know that they can be intelligent and still be considered beautiful. Our girls need to know that charity, giving and advocating for their passions is admirable. Our girls need to know that success and beauty isn’t measured in ‘likes-’ it measured in hard work, dedication, ambition, confidence and passion. Come on ladies, WE RUN THE WORLD.
Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus
Logan is a junior journalism major, and serves as Campus Correspondent.  She is also the proud president of Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Nu, her sorority. Logan is typically super busy, but still dedicates hours to reading a Cosmo from front to back...twice. Logan loves all things social media, especially following puppy accounts on Instagram. Her dream is to break into the magazine industry and help empower other women to pursue their dreams, whatever that may be.