13 Songs to Listen to All Summer Long

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As we struggle to make it through the last final weeks of the spring semester, it is hard not to get excited for summer and all the things that come along with this season full of heat. One of my personal favorite things about summer is the music. Summer is definitely the season for hits, and we all have those jams that just get us in the mood to lay on a beach, hang with friends by a bonfire, or dance all night to our favorite song at a concert.

Here is a list of some old and new songs that have me literally tasting the water ice I will consume during this year’s summertime heat…

“Heatstroke”- Calvin Harris ft. Young Thug, Pharrell Williams, and Ariana Grande

This song was just released but it is sure to be a hit this summer. Not only does this song include a variety of famous artists, the vibe is chill, fun, and makes me want to lay in the sand at the beach all day long. This song will be on my summer playlist.

“California Gurls”- Katy Perry ft. Snoop Dogg

Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg dropped this hit back in 2010, and I can honestly say that I listen to it every summer on multiple occasions. Hearing this song on the radio in the summer is very likely and if this doesn’t make you want to lounge by the pool, then you are lying to yourself.

“Swalla” by Jason Derulo ft. Nicki Minaj and Ty Dolla $ign

Jason Derulo recently released the music video for this fun and flirty new hit and it is sure to be heard all over the radio this summer. Add it to your playlists now!

“Summer of ’69”- by Bryan Adams

Although this song was released in 1984, it truly captures the beauty of spending long nights with the friends who become family. This song makes me feel nostalgic thinking about past summers, and eager to see where this summer takes me.

“iSpy” by Kyle ft. Lil Yachty

This catchy rap makes me want to drive all night with my friends listening at full volume with the windows down.

“Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

Maybe I am biased because this is one of my favorite songs during any season, but this song is always a summer anthem because everyone knows it. This is perfect for any summer occasion.

“Let Me Hold You (Turn Me On)” by Cheat Codes ft. Dante Klein

Even though this song is a remake, the modern version is even more catchy and flirty, two words that scream summer hit.

“Cruise”- Florida Georgia Line

This poppy country hit was all over the radio when it was released in 2012, and it is still a popular summer song today. It is perfect for long drives to the beach and bonfires on the shore line.

“Call Me Maybe”- Carly Rae Jepsen

Let’s be honest this was THE song of the summer when it was released back in 2012 and it is still a jam today. With everyone dancing and singing along, it is a guarantee that this song will be a summer banger for the fifth year in a row.

“Fast Car”- Radio Edit by Jonas Blue ft. Dakota

A modern twist on an old classic, this is a perfect song to sing along to with the people you love right by your side. I definitely recommend listening to this version and the original if you are not familiar with either of the two.

“All My Friends”- Snakehips

I think I listened to this song at least five times every single day last summer and I still am obsessed with it. Some of my favorite memories from the summer involve this song and therefore, it will be on my summer playlist forever.

“What Makes You Beautiful”- One Direction

The song that started it all for these British heartthrobs! Considering the music video takes place on a beach, I think it is safe to say that this song is perfect to blast whenever and wherever this summer.

“Pocketful of Sunshine”- Natasha Bedingfield

We all think about sunshine when we think about summer, therefore this upbeat and inspirational hit is perfect for any sunny day in the summer. Summer brings lots of happiness, and this song confirms that theory.

Lisa Cunningham is currently a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. When she is not listening to music, living it up at a concert or hanging with friends, Cunningham loves to write about all things relate to pop culture!
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.