10 Ways to Side Hustle for a Hype Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you’ve seen the movie Confessions Of A Shopaholic, I’m feeling a little bit like the Girl in the Green Scarf as I write this. In my family, I am notorious for being a little swipe happy (I mean, those Ray-Bans and I were made for each other).

But with summer filled with concerts, traveling, and unpaid internships, it’s important to start saving up early so you don’t break the bank with your first big purchase of the summer. What can you do while in college to kick start summer fun without spreading yourself too thin during the last few weeks of this semester?

1. Limit your spending on coffee shops

I’m known to grab a coffee when my energy is low and workload is high, whispering to myself as I hand over $5 to the cashier that I deserve this, I need this. Instead, make an effort at the beginning of the week to shop at Fresh Grocer (or any grocery store), and pick up coffee premade by the half gallon.

I promise you the cold brew tastes the same as what you get at Starbucks.

2. If you have a car on campus, try working for Uber, Lyft or Postmates

The beauty of working for these companies is that you get to make your own schedule. You get to determine when you think is the best time to ride around, get some pocket money, and head home when you’re tired of driving.

If you work for Postmates you can drag your friends along while you make deliveries.

3. Become a Tutor

If there’s a subject or class that always stuck with you or you’re proficient in multiple languages, see if Temple needs some new tutors. Aside from the spare change, you’re helping out students and making sure they understand the material better.

4. Dog Walk/Cat Sit

When it gets nice out, it seems like everybody’s out walking their dog in the park across from Hillel, or by the Bell Tower. It’s not hard to see that Temple students love having pets but they are a huge responsibility and you need to make your schedule flexible. See if you know someone that could use some extra help taking care of their pet when their schedule gets hectic.

5.  Limit your money with food and alcohol

This can be a challenge because there are so many good food places and bars and it can be way too easy for this to become a habit and blow all your money.

Try going out to eat once or twice a week. With alcohol, make your own drinks or buy a bottle to use for a couple weekends.

6.  Get yourself on Etsy

If you’re artistic and/or you sew, draw, knit, graphic design, or do ceramics, create an Etsy account. It’s an easy way to showcase your artwork and try to snag in some cash.

7. Start a Blog

It’s a little more time consuming, but I created a blog in high school and it’s super easy. If you post often, and promote yourself through social media, this could lead to advertisers reaching out to you, asking to sponsor you, and paying you.

8. Get on Task Rabbit

This is a website where users will post chores and jobs they don’t have time to do, and will pay you based on whatever the job is.

9. Get a Part-Time Job

Temple is less than two miles away from Center City Philadelphia. Spend a weekend exploring the ins-and-outs of neighborhoods like the Northern Liberties, South Philly, Fishtown, Rittenhouse, and stay open minded to all kinds of jobs so that you quickly get hired.  

10. Be a Social Media Intern

Millennials are constantly being told to get off their phones, but what you don’t know is that all that time scrolling on Instagram or Twitter can actually get you an easy, paid social media internship for a company. (And, most of the time you can be off site for these jobs, so you don’t need to leave your bed or Temple’s campus to make that side money.)

It might be hard to juggle jobs, school, clubs, and assignments all at once. But keep in mind everything you want to do over summer.  

Temple University, 2019. Magazine journalist and editor, fitness instructor, health and wellness enthusiast. Proponent of lists, Jesus, and the Oxford comma. Will do anything for an iced oatmilk latte. Follow my journey: Twitter + Instagram: @sarah_madaus