You’re on Your Own, Kid- A Love Letter and Goodbye to Her Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Well friends, this is it. One of my last articles for Her Campus. My graduation is looming only two weeks away and I’m still not quite sure how to feel. Excited? Yes. Sad? Also yes. Emotional? Definitely.

I still remember when I first joined Her Campus. I was an anxious college sophomore who came across Her Campus at TCU on Instagram and thought “Hey, it looks cute! Maybe I’ll join?” The rest was history. From the moment I joined Her Campus, I fell in love. The girls were incredible. Getting to write for a national magazine dedicated to the empowerment of college women where we could write about whatever we wanted?! It almost seemed too good to be true. My first articles were about Prince and The Bachelor (fitting, right?) I can still remember the feeling of having my article published for a national magazine specifically dedicated to college women, a feeling that helped ignite my passion for writing.

As I’m typing this, I’m reflecting on the past two years I’ve had in Her Campus and how much they’ve changed me and how I’ve grown. I went from a timid sophomore who would volunteer to write extra articles to a senior who led as the President of Her Campus at TCU. My entire experience at TCU as a whole has entirely changed me as a person who has grown in ways I never would have thought possible. I like to think that high school freshman Marena would have been blown away by senior in college Marena.

Her Campus has truly changed me so much. I received a home with some of the most incredible girls that I have ever met. I have been able to share my voice, something that I have always struggled with, and have my voice published on a national platform. What other magazine emphasizes the power of college women and allows you to express yourself through any topic you’re passionate about? Whether it’s The Bachelor, dating in college, fashion trends, TikTok trends, or very personal college experiences, you name it, there’s an article about it.

The women I have met in Her Campus have never ceased to amaze me. I have had the privilege of serving two terms as President with two incredible executive boards who have been absolutely amazing. When I get to read the articles that our writers have published, I am always in awe. When I see how much Her Campus at TCU has grown, it truly fills my soul with so much warmth and joy. When I see my fellow executive board members grow as leaders and lead Her Campus, I am always amazed by their leadership and growth. When our members come to meetings and present their ideas for the articles, some of the most creative things that I’ve heard (mostly ideas that I honestly couldn’t have come up with myself), I am amazed by the creativity and craftsmanship that goes into their articles. Her Campus has been one of my favorite experiences as a college woman and it has been one that has impacted me in ways I never would have thought possible.

Now, it is time for me to close this chapter and say goodbye to the organization that has brought me so much joy during my time at TCU. While this chapter is closed, I will take the memories and the incredible people that I have met with me forever. I will forever cherish the memories I have made, and reminisce on the organization that has brought me so much happiness and unimaginable growth.

To the writers at Her Campus at TCU, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. You have inspired me in so many ways that I couldn’t even begin to describe. Whether you’re ranking the newest Taylor Swift album or writing about important experiences that you’ve undergone in college, you have never ceased to amaze with your creativity and passion for sharing your voice on Her Campus. You are all amazing and are truly going to accomplish so much in the world.

To my executive board, thank you all for your hard work and your dedication to Her Campus at TCU. You have dedicated your time, your passion, and your skills to growing Her Campus at TCU and exemplifying the voices of women across TCU’s campus. You have all amazed me with your leadership and commitment to Her Campus at TCU and I am so so grateful to all of you. You are all leaders who are going to change the world and I am so proud to see where you all go. I will always be grateful to each and every one of you.

To Her Campus, thank you for growing me as a woman and as a leader. You have provided me with vast opportunities to develop as a person and connect with so many incredible women through Her Campus. I have been truly changed by being a part of Her Campus and it has been an experience that I will take with me forever.

Now, with my college graduation looming in the corner, it’s time for me to say goodbye to Her Campus and the incredible women that I have met. I will always love Her Campus and the experiences it has given me, but it’s time to move on to the next chapter (Hello Disney World anyone?!), and like the famous Taylor Swift says, “You’re on your own, kid.”

Marena Mendez is a rising senior at Texas Christian University and the President of Her Campus at TCU. She is a Youth Advocacy and Child Development major with specializations in Art Education and Communication studies. Marena is also the President of Frogs 4 Children, the Director of Hospitality for TCU Dance Marathon, and a Marketing Intern for Make A Wish. If she's not on campus, she's probably watching "Community", at Target, or tearing it up at Billy Bob's!