This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

A new job in a new city

I’ve been interning at FOX 5 DC for one week and I couldn’t be happier. D.C. is hustling and bustling. Channel 5 is electric. Washington is full of exhilarating surprises, but navigating them can be tricky if you’re not well-prepared. As a newly minted unpaid intern from Washington, I feel unqualified yet eager to list three wonders that might provide you with guidance. Or, at the very least, with some entertainment.

Hardly anyone who lives in D.C. is from D.C.

Residents of this broad district rarely grew up in D.C. proper. People flock from all backgrounds to call this town home, but most only stay for a few years. Career-driven hopefuls and highly specific experts occupy the city limits, avoiding tourists and networking their way to success (which looks different for everyone).

The Metro is truly remarkable.

Suits with sneakers are the unwritten dress code for those who pile on the Metro during rush hour. The lines are unbelievably easy to navigate, and each train is clean and safe. To this day, I’m shocked that I haven’t gotten lost commuting to work. Sure, some people jump the gates without paying their fares. Sure, you’ll encounter some interesting characters on your commute. But compared to the infamous dinginess of other public transit systems, the Metro knocks the ball out of the park.

No building is taller than the Capitol.

Okay, you might have known this patriotic zoning law, but it affects the character of the entire district. Capitol Hill glistens in the daylight and glows after sunset. Wherever you go, there’s a humble stature obtained by the conversations happening between each building and the Capitol. American politics are engrained into every aspect of life in the district.

There’s so much more I hope to learn during my time in Washington. I have three months to explore, create, and thrive. The character of the greater D.C.-Maryland-Virginia (DMV) area is unique and diverse. Reporting on the DMV is already proving to be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I wonder what I’ll encounter next week…

Ella McClure Mercer is a journalism major at the Bob Schieffer College of Communication at TCU, where she reports for TCU 360. She wrote her first song on the piano when she was 10 and hasn't stopped playing since. Originally from Nashville, Ella spends her free time drinking coffee, eating at fun restaurants, and going to concerts. Instagram: @old.eller Twitter: @oldeller_