Why You Should Watch Michelle Young’s Season of the Bachelorette (as a busy college student)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you love tuning in on Mondays to watch the Bachelor and Bachelorette. I’ve been watching the Bachelorette ever since Becca’s season (I could NOT get over how dirty Arie did Becca — still salty about it). When times in college can get stressful and overwhelming, the Bachelorette can be a great way to unwind and relax.

I’m thrilled about this upcoming season. For those of you who don’t know, the upcoming Bachelorette is Michelle Young, a teacher from Minnesota. Some of you might remember Michelle from the previous Bachelor season starring Matt James. Michelle finished second on the season with Matt choosing Rachael over Michelle. I was devastated when Matt didn’t pick Michelle but that made me even more excited for the possibility of Michelle having her own run. If you’re not familiar with the Bachelor/Bachelorette, I recommend Michelle’s season as a great starting point. Michelle’s season airs on October 19th, and it’s going to be an incredible one. Michelle is going to be a rocking Bachelorette. Here are some facts about Michelle to get you excited about her season!! 

1. Michelle is a fifth-grade teacher. As an education major, I know how much teachers are true angels on earth; teaching fifth grade is no joke! Michelle is an incredible teacher and is extremely devoted to teaching; her students made a cameo on Matt’s season and she made sure to have her season filmed over the summer so she wouldn’t have to leave her students. Now that’s a great teacher.
  1. Michelle is a former Division One Basketball player! Michelle is an incredibly talented basketball player and played Division One college basketball at Bradley University on an athletic scholarship. Michelle graduated from Bradley University in 2015 with a degree in elementary education. It’s so awesome to see such a talented and incredible woman grace our screens as she journeys to find love.
  1. Michelle is a breath of fresh air, especially for the Bachelor franchise. I remember first watching Matt’s season and taking note of Michelle. My friends and I love making Bachelor brackets, and I got bragging rights about guessing that Matt would pick RachaeI. However, I couldn’t help but notice how genuine Michelle seemed. She was an absolute sweetheart and seemed entirely genuine about her feelings for Matt. Michelle wasn’t involved in any of the drama and seemed to be on the show to actually find love. (Or, dare I say, there for the right reasons?) Michelle is the total package — incredibly beautiful, hilarious with a great personality, a devoted and caring teacher with an incredible career, and an extraordinarily talented Division One athlete. After looking after cast, I can tell it’s going to be a great season. So, on Monday nights, while either studying or taking some time to de-stress during college, tune in to Michelle’s season of the Bachelorette!!! I definitely will be!  
Marena Mendez is a rising senior at Texas Christian University and the President of Her Campus at TCU. She is a Youth Advocacy and Child Development major with specializations in Art Education and Communication studies. Marena is also the President of Frogs 4 Children, the Director of Hospitality for TCU Dance Marathon, and a Marketing Intern for Make A Wish. If she's not on campus, she's probably watching "Community", at Target, or tearing it up at Billy Bob's!