What You Need to Know About the #FreeBritney Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

If you have not been paying attention to the news recently, you may be asking why Britney Spears is in the media. On February 5, 2021, The New York Times released a documentary called Framing Britney on Hulu. This documentary highlights Spears’s career, specifically including the conservatorship battle with her father.

The documentary made headlines after being released due to the incriminating facts over the conservatorship battle and why this restriction was set in the first place. The conservatorship was placed on Spears in 2008, allowing her father, James Spears, to control her business and monetary value. Britney Spears was placed under a conservatorship because she seemingly had a mental breakdown and was put under a hold in a psychiatric hospital.

For the past 13 years, Britney has had no control over her finances, career, and well-being. Around August 2020, Britney has stated that she is strongly opposed to having her father continue as a conservator. In November of 2020, she finally filed for a motion to remove her father as a conservator. Later in November, the judge denied all requests of changing her conservatorship. On February 11, 2021, another judge said that they would not grant Spears Father full access stating that a Trust and Britney’s sister Jamie will remain in control. Although this is not the best circumstance, the movement is still hoping to remove Spears’s father from the agreement altogether.

The #FreeBritney movement began when fans thought that Britney was sending secret messages to fans, eluding that she needed help. Fans worldwide watch Britney’s social media for clues that Britney needs help and wants out of the conservatorship. The movement is to support Britney and to give her the help she needs to fight for control of her life again.

Although what Britney Spears wants has never been confirmed, the battle over her conservatorship continues. Many fans continue to find clues to help free Britney from her conservatorship. As an avid conspiracy theory reader, I do believe something is not right with how Britney was placed in conservatorship and what she posts. When watching her social media posts, I feel that she is faking her happiness for the camera. I do not know what is happening, but I believe there needs to be a thorough investigation.

If you want more information on the subject, I highly suggest watching the Framing Britney documentary on Hulu now.

Jadyn is a Junior at Texas Christian University, studying Strategic Communications. She is from Dana Point, CA. In her free time, she can be found doing orange theory, hanging with friends, and watching the latest Netflix documentary.