Valentine’s Day Is My Favorite Holiday — And It Should Be Yours Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Valentine’s Day is my favorite holiday. When I tell people this, their first question — always — is whether or not I have a significant other. I do, but Valentine’s Day has been my favorite long before that. In elementary school, I loved giving (and receiving) cheap grocery-store candy hearts written on by my classmates’ moms. In middle and high school, I made valentines for my close friends. I loved customizing each card so that it would make them smile. We are sold a version of Valentine’s Day that is all about mushy romance, but a day of love should be about much more than that. In this article, I want to share all of the people in your life that you can show love to on Valentine’s Day, including yourself.

Family

Start by showing love to the people who loved you first! Schedule a call or FaceTime to a grandparent who lives far away or send your parents a sweet card.

Friends

Friends are the family you choose. Everyone loves a little nostalgia, so try making some elementary-school-style valentines for your galentines. If you’re not the artsy type, even store-bought cards will do! To take the celebration up a notch, plan your own Galentine’s Day party (recognized as February 13). You can all make valentines for each other or just enjoy some rom-coms and pink mocktails.

Roommates/Classmates

For the people you appreciate but don’t know very well, let them know you’re thinking of them with a sweet treat! Whether it’s letting them choose from a bag of individually-wrapped candy or baking them cookies, they’re sure to remember your kindness the next time you need some homework help.

A Significant Other

Sorry, I had to include it. If you’re lucky enough to have romantic love in your life at this time of year, you’re probably just as excited for this holiday as I am all the time. Try giving your boo a gift related to their love language. It can even be something as cheap as a massage or a handwritten card they can cherish for years to come.

Yourself

The most important kind of love is the kind you give to yourself! Take a few hours to do something that brings you joy this Valentine’s Day, whether it’s taking a bubble bath, buying yourself flowers, or setting all your devices to “do-not-disturb” while you binge-read your new BookTok recommendation. You are so worthy of love!

To conclude: Valentine’s Day is for EVERYONE. I hope these ideas showed you how to show love to the people in your life just a little extra, today and every day. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Kendall McCarthy is a double major in strategic communication & French and former founding President of Her Campus at TCU. Her friends describe her as enthusiastic, positive, and a friend to all-- so if you see her on campus, come say hi! You can usually find her at Ampersand or Common Grounds. Contact her at k.mccarthy11@tcu.edu.