This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I am in love with 2000s young adult movies, and you will always hear me talk about how I don’t believe that they make movies the same way anymore. (And where are our young adult heartthrobs? I miss young Leo). These are my top ten YA movies ranked (and let me tell you, this was the hardest list that I have ever had to make). So grab some popcorn, put on The Devil Wears Prada soundtrack (arguably one of the best soundtracks ever), and enjoy!

10. 13 Going on 30 (2004) I maintain that this movie is why I was told I was much more mature than everyone else. I also wanted to be 30 when I was 13, but this movie does so much more in reflecting how children these days are forced to grow up much earlier. Kids can no longer be kids and must instead be kids who get into college and are successful. Movies that go further in social commentary (which is every movie on this list) are my bread and butter.

9. A Walk to Remember (2002) I cried so hard that I made myself sick during this movie. I mean, Landen being Jamie’s miracle? Cue the waterworks. True love takes work and is hard to find, whether romantic or platonic, but these two teenagers are the epitome of love. The fact that Landen sticks by her side through it all? Jamie’s death reuniting Landen and his dad? It’s the epitome of a feel-good but also rip-your-heart-out movie. Plus, who doesn’t love the bad boy falling for a good girl trope?

7. The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants (2005) I saw true friendship. My friends and I now have a journal we send around because of this movie. I wish we could send around pants, but sadly, the local mall doesn’t carry any pants that change from 0 to 10. This movie is (literally) sisterhood in a tangible form. The love that each girl has for the others is beautiful, and watching it makes me need the biggest hug from my friends.

6. She’s the Man (2006) The movie that taught me girls can do anything that guys can. This movie was radical at its time. I mean, a girl dressing up as a guy where she lives in an all-boys boarding school, the iconic kiss between Olivia and Sebastian (but with fake Sebastian there?), everyone flashing everyone during the soccer game? I love it! This movie introduced all new concepts into the modern romance genre and was such a necessary addition.

5. The Princess Bride (1987) Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, true loves, and miracles. This is one of the reasons I had to title it 2000(ish) movies (see #8), but I could not make a list without it. I mean, doesn’t every girl want a man whose only words are “As you wish.” This movie is reminiscent of rainy days (ironic because it is raining as I write this), being young, and watching movies with my dad when he could take care of everything in my life.

4. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003) Pretty sure this movie is why I tend to love people so quickly. I LOVED when this became a trend on TikTok, and people were giving this movie the hype it deserved. As a Texas girl, Matthew McConaughey shines in this movie. I find the narrative of women “not wanting” to read the news fascinating. While I think the trope of women not wanting to engage in anything that isn’t makeup or boys makes them weird is somewhat overdone (see literally every movie above), I must admit this movie puts an exciting spin on the take.

3. Legally Blonde (2001) Reese Witherspoon in a pink suit is part of why I want to be a lawyer. The fact that a female was rewarded for her knowledge of hair and makeup in the movie is so refreshing from a modern lens. The film focuses on women supporting women but also the challenges that come with that and the spaces that tend to punish women for this. The movie challenged the entire genre of film and had its own take on feminism that I simply adore.

2. Twilight (2009) At one point in middle school, I knew the entire script of the first movie. It was my favorite party trick. Personally, I am Team Edward, and Jackson Rathbone (the actor who played Jasper) went to my school, so I may be a little biased in my ranking. I just think that “Hold tight spider monkey,” and “This is the skin of a killer, Bella” are just some of the best lines to ever be delivered in a movie.

1. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) Kat’s monologue should be taught among the classics. Heath Ledger is probably the swooniest rom-com love interest to ever exist, and I love how this movie showcased no-nonsense, powerful females who sway to the beat of their own drum.

This list is by no means extensive and I would recommend checking out my friend Katie’s post published last week on Her Campus TCU for a full list of the best rom-coms. Thanks for reading my rankings!

Hadley Whytlaw is a new writer for the Her Campus at TCU chapter. She loves to write about female empowerment, all of the latest reality show drama, and her music. Beyond Her Campus, Hadley is involved as a photographer and writer for TCU Yearbook, and a member of the Ignite Club which is an organization that works to increase the civic engagement, and leadership skills of its members. She is a freshman at Texas Christian University, double majoring in psychology and political science with a minor in Spanish. In her free time, Hadley enjoys running and pickle ball, and hanging out with friends in Fort Worth’s many parks. She is a reality television aficionado, and a large foodie who wants to try every Fort Worth restaurant.