This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

High school to college is like a jumping into a freezing pool: you’re reluctant to be entering the uncomfortable water, but are wanting to be removed from the too familiar, persistent sun. Whether we are ready for the change or not, it comes and gives little warning. Walking onto a campus, it is not hard to find yourself noticing put together students, from monogrammed bags to swell bottles, alongside their southern hospitality. While the community is one you find yourself wanting to be a part of for the many wonderful reasons that led you to pick this college, it is not difficult to get caught in upholding a certain image. Maybe it is because you are new to the oversized T-shirt fad or maybe you haven’t gotten accustomed to the constant usage of the word “y’all” yet, either way you are now thinking your high school self should have been left at home. Difficult, but, stop yourself. Who you are, how you carry yourself and the person you bring about walking to class every day is a personal choice and shouldn’t be thought as the wrong choice. Do and wear what makes you feel the best version of yourself. Place yourself with people and activities that bring out the side of you that isn’t driven by a trend. These people can be found in the line to do laundry or on the elliptical next to you. When you’re constantly being surrounded by demanding influences, it doesn’t seem to be an option to push out of a mold. But, different is a good thing and even more than that, a noted thing. Confidence in your own choices is more rewarding than finding confidence in a choice made for you. College makes it very tempting to lose yourself. Work on challenging this, don’t expect the results by tomorrow and reform, don’t leave, the high school girl from home. The efforts can be rewarding because when or if you do, you might find that the water isn’t freezing, but just a little chilly.

Her Campus TCU Staff!
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.