Style

Rejuvenate Your Curls With These Simple Steps!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, your curly hair has a mind of its own. It frizzes when it wants, flattens at the worst possible time, and never seems to calm down. Taking care of your curls takes a lot of learning and effort– hours of watching youtube videos, reading what is and isn’t good to use, and even deciphering what works for your curls. Instead of spending your valuable time scouring the internet, here’s the rundown of everything I wish I knew earlier.

Ditch your generics!

It’s easy to go for the shampoos and conditioners with pretty covers and sweet-smelling scents, but some of the most popular hair care brands are actually the worst for your hair. Sulfates and parabens are some of the most commonly used ingredients in shampoos and conditioners, and though they aren’t all bad, most sulfates and parabens can strip your hair of its natural oils, leaving your hair faded and your scalp dry and irritated. Instead of giving in to the hype of products like Herbal Essences or Garnier Fructis, opt for products oriented to your curl type with natural ingredients. My personal favorite is Shea Moisture. It’s totally natural and works wonders on my curls. 

MAKE WASH DAYS!!

Growing up, I used to wash my hair every day– Monday through Sunday, sometimes even twice a day when I had sports. What I didn’t know is that I was actually doing far more damage than I was good. Textured hair needs its oils to stay healthy and hydrated, and washing it too frequently strips the hair of those natural necessities. Instead, figure out how often and when works best to wash your curls. I have curl type 3A, so washing my hair twice a week alternating 4 and 3 day periods works best for me. Having type 4 curls might require more length between washes and having type 1 or 2 may require less time. 

Condition, condition, condition!

Conditioning is the simplest yet most important step in keeping your curls hydrated, soft, and strong. Conditioner doesn’t just smooth your hair, but also acts as a barrier by wrapping every strand in a protective covering. This protects it from environmental damage, such as styling tools, hot water, or heat. Lately, I’ve been using Shea Moisture’s Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner. This has made my curls feel pillow soft over the past couple of months. I have seen extensive restoration of my hair, even after bleaching it! I pair this with Shea Moisture’s Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Conditioner since there is no matching leave-in to the Intensive Hydration. I use leave-in conditioner after every wash day to ensure my hair gets the highest level of hydration possible after being shampooed. Additionally, leave-in will create an extra layer of protection to your strands on top of the conditioner! This will help to keep the strands detangled and soft to the touch. 

Experiment to find your faves

Beside the basics, some must-haves for curly-haired babes are products for in-between wash days. My top three are coconut oil, curl revitalizer, and leave-in hydration. My in-between wash days start with lightly spraying my hair with water, then going in with Carol’s Daughter’s Hair Milk Refresher Spray. Using this, I’ve noticed my curls reform as they would after I wash them. Additionally, I use Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Leave-In to lock in moisture for the day, and then top it all off with OGX’s Coconut Miracle Oil Penetrating Oil. This oil helps leave my hair softened, calms my frizz and tames flyaways. Coconut oils also create an extra hydrating layer that will repair, soften and revive your strands, leaving them silky and shiny!

Lastly, be patient! Experiment with different brands, variations of those brands, and give time to let the products work their magic. For starters, here are brands that I’ve tried and personally love. 

Shea Moisture

Carol’s Daughter

DevaCurls

Miss Jessie’s 

As I Am

African Pride

Aspiring owner of a non-profit and writer:) Studying movement science on a pre-pt track and minoring in entrepreneurship and innovation.