This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

No spoiler zone

Dune hit the big screen just a few weeks ago and the opinions have been free and fast-flowing ever since. I also joined the floods of people crowding the theaters to see Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya execute the film they’d been heavily marketing for months.

My initial thoughts after seeing the film were mixed, and as the days passed, I realized Dune is a movie you have to sit with — to let sink into your brain before you can fully appreciate it. Overall, I really enjoyed Dune, but let me break it all down as best I can so you can decide if the film took off or crash-landed.

A quick official summary before we begin…

“A mythic and emotionally charged hero’s journey, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people.”

Warner Bros

Let me first say I believe in reading the book before watching the movie. I think there are absolute advantages to having read a detailed novel before viewing the story in a compacted visual format. Then-readers-now-watchers can pinpoint the film’s parallels and divergences from the original work and have a better understanding of the world than those who only watch the movie.

However.

I am a college student with limited time as is. I certainly did not have the ability to conquer all 21 (!!!!) books in the Dune universe (Dune-iverse?) before seeing the movie, so forgive me. I broke my own rule and am approaching this review as only a moviegoer possessing no sense of how closely the plot followed the 1965 written storyline. All I knew about Dune going in was 1. The trending TikTok jokes about the books’ sheer size and unreadability and 2. The Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya photoshoot with Entertainment Weekly where the camera circles them with the sun on the horizon. You know the one.

Anyways, on to the plot.

“A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.”

Frank Herbert, Dune

This movie was mostly teased as action-packed. In the typical sense, it is certainly not. Dune’s plot is full of political intrigue and character-driven action. While battle and fight scenes are present, the majority of the film centers around the main character, Paul Atreides, who finds himself caught up in a whirlwind of political upheaval. Much of the movie is dedicated to heavy world-building and dialogue cleverly used to explain the wondrous realms Dune takes place in. Some find character-driven stories slow and boring, I tend to find them interesting and complex, but to each their own. One thing is for sure though; this movie makes your brain work. Unlike the classic sci-fi Star Wars, viewing Dune without prior knowledge of the universe is a bit of a challenge; a fun puzzle with great rewards as secrets are uncovered. Like the quote says, you can’t stop too long to think. Just move with the movie and you’ll piece it together.

Continuing with characters, Dune delivered striking acting and meaningful relationships. While a few outliers had underdeveloped presences and swift screen exits, most of the main characters were easy to connect to and feel for. They were the kind of people who drew the audience in and held the theater in a bit of a trance as all manner of space goers exemplified their individual draws through humor, kindness, ruthlessness, strength, or sheer power and terror.

The world of Dune itself, exemplified through stunning cinematography and a booming score, was enticing despite its size. Those who find fault in the film not only critique the aforementioned lack of action but also refer to its over-focus on a single planet. However, from what we experience, the visuals of even one planet were incredible. There were tons of shots and moments of music worth significant appreciation, and the beauty of the two combined balanced the lack of setting variety, at least for me. To put it simply, it’s aesthetically pleasing. I really think faulting the film for being “static” only sticks if you go in expecting something different or disregard the juxtaposed internal journeys of the characters. (Keep in mind, this is technically Part 1, so much of the film is intentionally designed as set up for Part 2.)

“The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in…”

Frank Herbert, Dune

Dune sparked an incredible amount of conversation (and controversy). Debates as silly as the attractiveness of Timothée Chalamet and the volume of the score to much more serious discussions of white savior narratives and colonization surround the film. Again, I am not an expert on the book, movie, or author, so I do not have the expertise to contribute to the more pressing conversations. However, these topics are incredibly interesting and relevant, and I suggest reading more about what Dune’s intentions are from more knowledgeable and involved people.

However, in my not-so-professional opinion, Dune is certainly worth the watch. It’s a slow burn, but it is gorgeously made and astoundingly interesting. The world is rich, unique, and magnetic, and fulfills its purpose of committing you to see the sequel in the years to come. I recommend seeing the movie in theaters to absorb its full scale, but if you’re still iffy, HBO Max has it as well.

Go and immerse yourself to experience the greatness of the myth of Dune!

Spoilers ahead!!

I’ve gone quite a bit into the movie, but here are a few spoilers I wanted to mention more casually for those who have seen the movie or don’t mind being in the know.

• We got Zendaya baited!! She was in a grand total of maybe 20 minutes of the movie (shame). But I think she’ll play an integral role in the sequel so I look forward to that.
  • I thought Timothée Chalamet fit the role of Paul very well.
  • Rebecca Ferguson absolutely slayed her role it was incredible.
  • The Voice.
  • Could anyone else not stop laughing at Baron Vladimir Harkonnen of House Baron Harkonnen? He was so huge and creepy but I still laughed at his physical character.
  • The one huge battle scene was epic.
  • This movie made me want to read the book(s).
  • Paul’s wholesome relationship with his dad and Duncan were so cute and I was actually upset when they bit the dust.
  • The sand worms were amazing. The “science” behind them and avoiding them created constant, palpable tension on Arrakis.
  • I know the Bene Gesserit are dark and manipulative but we love women in politics and female powerhouses so… #girlboss.
Colleen Wyrick is President of the Her Campus at TCU chapter. She enjoys writing about current pop culture events, female empowerment, and her latest book/TV interest. She loves her role and connecting with new members! Colleen is an aspiring writer/editor/publisher/professor and is a junior (*sigh*) at Texas Christian University studying English and Communication. In addition to Her Campus, she contributes to academic publications for the English Department and works for TCU’s social media team. She is very passionate about books, Marvel, chocolate, soccer, and all things comfortable. You can find her doing anything and everything because she loves new adventures!