Jordan Talley: Backflips and Biology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Name: Jordan Talley

Year: sophomore, graduating fall 2016

Hometown: Rhome, Texas

Meet Jordan Talley, a sophomore cheerleader at TCU who is passionately working towards her dream of attending medical school. Balancing challenging coursework with sports and sorority commitments is no easy task, but Jordan makes it look effortless. Even with her busy schedule, she still finds time to volunteer at local hospitals or spend time with friends…all with a smile on her face. Find out how Jordan is making the most of her time at TCU and get inspired by this joyful collegiette™. She definitely has a bright future ahead of her!

Q: What is you major? What do you hope to do with it?

A: “I am a Biology major, pursuing medical school. Although my future career is not concrete, I know that I would like to become a doctor so that I am able to build relationships with others and help them directly. I enjoy making people happy and hope to have the opportunity to do this in my career.”

Q: How would you describe yourself in five words?

A: “Encouraging, ambitious, reliable, passionate, and joyful.”

Q: How did you become involved with cheerleading here at TCU?

A: “I began my career in cheerleading in fifth grade and quickly fell in love with it. I actually did not have any intentions of cheering in college, but my mom convinced me to tryout once I decided on coming to TCU! I agreed with her, thinking I could at least make friends and find a roommate. Who knew what the Lord had in store for me?!”

Q: What is your favorite part about the sport?

A: “I absolutely love having an opportunity to interact with the community. When I am in my uniform, I have an excuse to make silly faces and wink at the toddlers in Frog Alley, to set an example for my peers in college, and to spread my love for TCU to anyone I talk to.”

Q: What process do girls have to go through to become a member of the team?

A: Tryouts for TCU Cheer are held in April every year to decide on the team for the following fall. Anyone interested in becoming a member of the team, even those who are returning, must first send in an application and then proceed to a tryout. The tryout consists of a performance in front of judges, who ultimately decide the members of the cheerleading team. In the tryout, every member is required to throw tumbling skills, demonstrate leading a crowd, perform the fight song, and answer interview questions!”

Q: How do you balance your busy cheer schedule with your academics? Is it difficult to manage both?

A: “I feel that being limited in time actually benefits me in being constantly productive. I am not always given the opportunity to waste my time, so I am constantly working hard to accomplish tasks. It is really important for me to prioritize my time between my activities and each of my classes. I often set a timer so that I can stay on pace and separate my time accordingly.”

Q: Outside of cheerleading, are there other organizations on campus that you are a part of?

A: “I am also involved in Sigma Kappa and Alpha Epsilon Delta. In my sorority, I have a made a great group of friends and also get to participate in philanthropy events which connect me to the TCU and Fort Worth communities. AED is an organization for pre-health students at TCU to help guide them as they pursue medical school. In AED, I am given wonderful opportunities to shadow doctors in the area who teach me more about the medical field. I am also required to volunteer for both of these organizations, so I volunteer at Cook Children’s Hospital once a week for four hours. I am known as a ‘Happy Volunteer’, bringing smiles to the patients’ faces in the best way I can.”

Q: Do you have any advice for incoming freshmen who plan on balancing challenging academics with extracurriculars?

A: “Be sure to prioritize your time in the best way possible. It is essential for college students to determine which classes require a lot of attention and which classes do not. Schoolwork always comes first because this is the reason we are in college. In my opinion, extracurricular activities are the perfect break from strenuous academics. Find out what makes you happy and dedicate time to the clubs that you really enjoy. Before entering college, understand that it is impossible to do everything, and that is okay! Do not spread yourself too thin where extra organizations solely cause stress and feel free to tell organizations ‘no’ when it is necessary!”

Photo sources:

Photo 1: Crystal DelaHoz from Love Me Photography

Photo 2: Lisa Talley

Photo 3: Lisa Talley

Emily is a contributing writer for Her Campus TCU and a sophomore English/Political Science double major on the Pre-Law track. She is a northerner with a newly discovered obsession with sweet tea, large t-shirts, and anything southern. When she's not worrying about her future, Emily enjoys watching marathons of Gilmore Girls on Netflix, discovering eclectic coffee shops that bring out her inner hipster, and contemplating the true meaning of the word "srat". Oh, and she has a fish named Christian.