This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

As a senior graduating in May, basically the only thing on my mind is trying to get a good job. It’s quite a process to finally land that perfect job or just any job. It’s definitely not easy to secure that first interview, make it through that entire process, get the offer, and then make the right decision. I am still in the interviewing process, trying to find the job that is the best for me. While interviewing with various companies, I have learned a lot about interview do’s and don’ts. Here are my tips on how to get offers so you can have options to set yourself up for a promising career.

1. Put Yourself Out There. The first thing you need to do when starting to look for jobs is to put yourself out into the industry you want to be in as much as possible. You need to create a LinkedIn profile, attend career fairs, and be on a job search website where employers can reach out to you, and vice versa. You can’t expect a job to just fall into your lap because you have the grades and campus involvement.

2. Do Research. You should always be doing research throughout this whole process. You should research companies before you apply, and also research after you have secured that first interview. Always review the job description as well. Nothing makes an interviewer more frustrated than someone who comes into an interview with no knowledge of the company or the job in question.

3. Bring Questions. This tip goes hand and hand with the last one. During your research, gather specific questions about the company and the position. This shows how interested you are to join the company, but also that you care enough about this interview to prepare. It shows initiative, organization, and insight.

4. Know Your Strengths. Before going into an interview, you need to think about your strengths as a person and as an employee. What are you going to bring to the table? Knowing and understanding your strengths is the best way to learn how to highlight them. You can’t sell yourself in an interview without knowing the product.

5. Stay True To You. It is very important in an interview that you are yourself. It is a lot easier than you think for an interviewer to see through a fake persona. If you are a shy person, don’t try to be overly eccentric. If you are super energetic, don’t tone down. The best way to come across as personable and make a real connection is to be authentic.

6. Talk About Your Passions. Talking to the interviewer about what makes you passionate will help you make strong connections. We channel positive and excited energy when we talk about what we love. Interviewers want to see that you are a person who really cares about your interests. This will also encourage them to connect with you and share if they have similar interests, or if the company as a whole also values those passions.

7. Follow Up. After your interview, you can follow up with who interviewed you. You can wait and see if they reach out first, or be the first one and send a thank you email for their time. If you decide not to do a thank you email, which I don’t always do, after a good period of time if you haven’t heard back, you can reach out to check on the status of your application. I would wait 24-48 hours after each communication to send another one.

8. Go With Your Gut. If you receive an offer, go with your gut. Give yourself time to think about it and what you want. Think about the culture of the company and if you see yourself being happy with those people. Also, think about if this would be a good stepping-stone for your long-term career goals. At the end of the day though, the gut never lies.

These are just a few of the tips I have learned so far. These tips are good if you are looking for a first job or an internship while you are still in school. I just have one more thing to leave you with: be confident. The most important thing when walking into any new situation is to walk in with confidence. We all bring our own strengths to every scenario, so rest assured in the fact that you are unique and bring your own unique strengths. Now, go out there and make them remember you.

Senior Economics major and political science minor from Germantown, Tennessee graduating in May.