This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of the celebrations that I love the most because it is a season of giving thanks to all the people in your life. I love being able to surround myself with friends and family to celebrate together. Friendsgiving is what you make it whether you celebrate with friends prior to thanksgiving or with friends because that is what family means to you. Regardless of what it means to you, it is a celebration of all the things to be grateful for. Last year I had a Friendsgiving, and it was one of my favorite things that I have ever planned. I will show you four tips to plan a Friendsgiving for the friends in your life.

1. Plan a schedule

Before planning the event, I reached out to all my close friends and started planning a day and time that worked for everyone so that no one was left out. To make this possible I started planning my event a month in advance to ensure that everyone could make it. Once you organize a time and date, you can coordinate how the day will go with preparing.

2. Split the tasks

Friendsgiving is such a big commitment that you are going to need help from all your friends. I chose to split up the tasks that I had to complete. I first gave some of my friends ideas to make decorations, and another one of my friends oversaw bringing dessert. All this leads to a helpful setting, and it does not just fall on one or two people to complete.

3. Set up festive decorations and food

I am the type of person to go all out if I am planning an event. I really wanted to decorate the space so that I would be able to take pictures with friends and have a fun time. A recommendation for decoration is to be creative. For my centerpiece on the table, I decided to use three different-sized pumpkins and fake leaves all around. This was super inexpensive and a way to brighten up the room. Another way to make the event our own was to choose food that everyone would enjoy. As college students, we did not have time to go all out on different food options, so we decided to make a pasta dinner. This was easy and stress-free.  

4. Don’t stress and have fun.

This should not be a stressful time it should be a time where you can celebrate and have fun with all your friends in attendance. If you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed, ask for help in planning. Another fun idea was we had sticky notes on the table where each person would write a few things they were grateful for and we each shared.

Have fun with your Friendsgiving, and do not forget to make it your own.

Jadyn is a Junior at Texas Christian University, studying Strategic Communications. She is from Dana Point, CA. In her free time, she can be found doing orange theory, hanging with friends, and watching the latest Netflix documentary.