The Meaning behind Maisie Peters’ New Song “History of Man”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Maisie Peters’ song, “History of Man,” which belongs to her newest album, “Good Witch,” has gone viral across TikTok. This article is a closer look into the song and all of its historical references.

The album “Good Witch” is about womanhood, romance, and growth. Maisie Peters’ lyrics paint a story with each song, and her melodies keep you hooked throughout the album. I have been absolutely obsessed with this song since the album dropped, so let’s dive into a lyric breakdown.

Tale as old as honey

A moment everybody knows

Humans have used honey for over 8,000 years. Peters quickly establishes that this story is as old as humanity.

Yeah, I’m sure there was heartbreak

Inside the walls of Jericho

The Bible mentions the city of Jericho, the first city in the Holy Land that the Israelites entered. The walls of Jericho were famous for the height and protection they provided the city. God instructed the Israelites to destroy the city and its walls. The heartbreak Peters mentions could be in reference to the pain the people of Jericho felt as their city was destroyed. The mention of Jericho reinforces the idea that this story is an ancient one that has been repeated.

I couldn’t believe it

How you could just stop wanting me

You burnt down Easter Island

As if it wasn’t sacred, as if it wasn’t sacred to me

Easter Island had a fire in 2022 that caused damage to over 100 statues. This damage to the ancient statues is unfixable and is one of many events that have destroyed or harmed the statues. Like Peter’s feelings, the island is sacred and has been damaged by men countless times. This point in the song also alludes to its main message that the damage Peters took from a past relationship and the universal story of heartbreak.

I’ve seen it in the poems and the sands

I’ve pleaded with the powers and their plans

I tried to rewrite it but I can’t

It’s the history, the history of man

Peters opens the song’s chorus by telling listeners how unchangeable this treatment of women feels. How it is so deeply interwoven with history. She has tried to change it, but she is unable, as men mistreating women and causing heartbreak is beyond her power. 

She stays up, he’s sleeping like a lamb

People have used lambs throughout history, including in the Bible, to symbolize innocence and purity. By stating that her lover is sleeping like a lamb, Peters implies that her lover does not realize the pain he is causing her with his careless actions. Peters’ use of she and he instead of I and you makes the events feel even more universal. These pronouns insinuate that this is an experience every woman will undergo.

She begs him, he says he doesn’t understand

She loves him more than anyone ever has

In the history, the history of man

It’s the history of man (yep)

You didn’t even falter

Didn’t look back once, did you?

So Samson blamed Delilah

But given half the chance I

I would’ve made him weaker too

The story of Samson and Delilah belongs to the Old Testament of the Bible. Samson has incredible strength given to him by God. He falls in love with Delilah, and Samson’s enemies bribe her to discover the source of his incredible strength. Delilah eventually learns his power originates from his hair, which he has never cut. Delilah betrays Samson and cuts his hair before handing him over to his enemies. Historians heavily criticize Delilah, labeling her a villain for her betrayal. Some even compare her to Judas. But, little is known about Delilah or the nature of her relationship with Samson. This makes her motivation to betray him a mystery. Peters aligns herself with Delilah and says she would have done the same thing as Delilah.

Sirens sounded, trumpets blaring  

You walked out, oh, without sweating

Sirens and trumpets are metaphors for her desparate attempts to get her partner’s attention. This signals that things have gotten so bad that alarms are sounding, yet he doesn’t seem to hear them. Instead, he leaves. The image emphasizes how little he listens and cares for her.

I’ve seen it in the poems and the sands

I tried to rewrite it but I can’t

It’s the history, the history of man

She stays up, he’s sleeping like a lamb

She loves him more than anyone ever has

In the history (history), the history of man

Peters combines the two repeated sections without a break for a historical reference. This technique emphasizes just how connected unreciprocated love is throughout history, regardless of time, culture, or people.

He stole her youth and promised heaven

The men start wars yet Troy hates Helen

The songwriter alludes to another ancient story, the tale of Helen from the Ancient Greek epic “The Illiad.” Helen often faces blame for causing the Trojan War, but it was Paris who stole her away and started the war. Through this reference, Peters implies that people have twisted the image of women throughout history to show them as villains, as men’s destruction instead of victims of it.

Women’s hearts are lethal weapons 

Did you hold mine and feel threatened?

Hear my lyrics, taste my venom 

You are still my great obsession”

These lines signal a shift in the song. Instead of pleading for circumstances to change, Peters takes action. The artist comments on men’s inability to handle the strength of women. Peters uses this song to send a message that previously fell on deaf ears — her partner can’t simply turn and walk out now that this song is bigger than just her. The song’s popularity on TikTok expanded its audience. It is possible the man who inspired the piece has listened to it. The last line feels as though she were speaking straight to him, calling him and their relationship her “great obsession.” That obsession is what led to this reflection on human history and relationships.

I’ve seen it in the poems and the sands

I tried to rewrite it but I can’t

It’s the history (history), the history of man

I stay up, you’re sleeping like a lamb

I beg you and you don’t understand

I hold on, I try to hold your hand

I save you a seat and then you say you want to stand

So you’ll lose me, the best you’ll ever have

It’s the history, the history of man

Peters tells a tale as old as humanity; her song explores the story of women’s heartbreak throughout the ages and the cold carelessness of men. But, this woeful song does not have a bitter ending.Peters picks herself back up and ends it by saying that her ex has lost the best thing he’ll ever have, her. The man’s uncaring, reckless attitude has cost him someone who truly cared for him. This kind of loss, too, is as old as the heartbreak he has caused her. Although he does not realize it, he has lost something precious. This ending is defiant — Peters reclaims her power and the narrative.

McKay is a freshman in the JVRoach Honors College this year at Texas Christian University. She is majoring in Film, TV, and digital media and plans on minoring in political science. She loves to write everything from articles to poetry to screenplays. In her free time, Mckay loves to sit outside and read with friends. In high school, McKay was the senior editor of her school's literary magazine and was the teacher assistant for screening writing class. She hopes to take her love for storytelling to the screen and direct documentaries one day.