This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

The first week of school has officially come and gone. Things are already off to a crazy start for me, and I’m sure some of you are feeling the same way. I always look forward to returning to my friends and my classes, but my mind and body forget the initial shock I tend to feel during this week. I’m bone tired and overwhelmed by my new schedule. It seems like everything is happening all at once at rapid speed and I don’t know where to begin organizing it all.

If you still feel this way no matter how many first weeks of college you’ve experienced, you’re not alone! Here are a few of the reminders I give myself at the start of the semester to calm my anxieties and focus on the positives.

1. There will always be a learning curve

No matter how much experience you have in college, the first week is an adjustment for everyone! Upperclassmen and freshmen alike struggle to adapt. Try to give yourself grace and remember you’re not alone. You navigated this before and you will do it again.

2. Your classes will make sense soon

I know reading the syllabus for your classes is terrifying when you don’t know the content or the professor well. Trust me, that list of assignments that seem daunting now will become second nature by the end of the month! The more time you spend in a class the more manageable it will become and your stress will fade as you establish a routine.

3. You don’t have to do everything this week

In the chaos of coming (back) to campus, there’s a lot of pressure to go to every event, attend every meeting, and check in with every friend you missed. I promise, there will be time for all those things as the year progresses. If you try to cram everything into that first week, you’ll amplify your stress and feel left behind. Some to-do’s can be pushed to later dates.

4. Take time to relax!

The whole point of syllabus week is to take advantage of your light workload. Again, it can feel like you have tons of homework right off the bat, but it’s important to set some of it aside and spend time reconnecting with your friends, decorating your dorm or apartment, partying, etc. Let loose while you can!

5. You’ve been through this before

This isn’t your first first week and it won’t be your last. You’ve always come out on the right side of things before and things will fall into place this time around, too. You’re more than capable of handling this round of change, I promise. Give yourself some leeway and push through. You got this!!

Have an amazing semester y’all! Start strong.

Colleen Wyrick is President of the Her Campus at TCU chapter. She enjoys writing about current pop culture events, female empowerment, and her latest book/TV interest. She loves her role and connecting with new members! Colleen is an aspiring writer/editor/publisher/professor and is a junior (*sigh*) at Texas Christian University studying English and Communication. In addition to Her Campus, she contributes to academic publications for the English Department and works for TCU’s social media team. She is very passionate about books, Marvel, chocolate, soccer, and all things comfortable. You can find her doing anything and everything because she loves new adventures!