This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Do Revenge is exactly what you’ve heard. It’s a nostalgic ’90s-inspired teen movie à la Clueless, 10 Things I Hate About You, and (though it’s technically early 2000s, I’m still counting) Mean Girls, but with more queer representation. Considering it’s still on Netflix’s “Top 10 Movies” two weeks after its release and has gained an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes, this movie has managed to tip-toe the line between a stereotypical campy movie and a success.

The film stars Camila Mendes (Riverdale) as queen bee Drea, whose leaked sex tapes lead to her fall from grace, and Maya Hawke (Stranger Things) as Eleanor, the seemingly innocent new girl who is pulled into Drea’s plans for revenge in exchange for help with her own. It features a star-studded ensemble. Euphoria‘s Austin Abrams, West Side Story‘s Talia Ryder, Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin’s Maia Reficco, 13 Reasons Why‘s Alisha Boe, Embattle‘s Ava Capri, and Sarah Michelle Gellar (Yes, Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer!) can be seen on screen, with Game of Thrones‘ Sophie Turner stealing the show as crazed Erica, despite her limited screen time. You love to hate these characters, and they know it. 

Everything from the bright, over-the-top costumes to an emotional support lizard named “Oscar Winner Olivia Coleman” to the long, drawn-out monologues screams camp, but because of that self-awareness, it works. The dialogue is self-aware – they know we know that this is ridiculous – but because of the actors’ dedication, we are still pulled into the whirl-wind story. This self-aware dialogue includes describing a makeover as “problematic … but fun,” and the final reveal includes palm leaves moving away to reveal Maya Hawke’s new look and a kiss to the camera. The writers mix the ’90s nostalgia and film shots with modern-day references to keep the audience invested and relating to the characters, and the soundtrack, featuring songs like Olivia Rodrigo’s brutal, Tate McRae’s she’s all i wanna be, and Billie Eilish’s Happier Than Ever, perfectly matches the scene’s energy and has the audience singing along. Now, is this movie ground-breaking? No. But it’s a hilarious film with some twists and turns, and as someone who watched Do Revenge with my roommates, every one of us found a different favorite moment to laugh at and enjoy. This movie might have just become my new comfort movie. And the outfits would make a great Halloween costume!

I'm a Junior at Texas Christian University and double-majoring in Journalism and Theatre.