Fending Off College Peer Pressure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

No. It’s a word we tend to utter when we are against something, but sometimes that word escapes our vocabulary when we are in college. You’ve heard the saying, “say yes to everything,” especially during your freshman year in college. While that may lead to some memorable stories, they aren’t always the brightest colors on the page. That frat party a few blocks down that everyone is going to be talking about tomorrow (well, the ones who are sober enough to form a coherent sentence)? Yeah, maybe it’s best to turn down that offer and work on that research paper you’ve procrastinated on for the past three weeks.

The problem with saying “no” comes from the fact that many people may assume that you are a prude or a dork. They’ll say, “you aren’t living it up,” and then go on a rant about how college is the best time of your life and how you aren’t utilizing it to your fullest potential. College may be a great time (I should hope everyone’s college experience is), but surely you’ll accomplish more note-worthy achievements in your life than in one hazy Friday night, right? 

There’s nothing wrong with saying “no” to a party or to a boy or to anything else you feel uncomfortable with. Just because your friends find parties fun doesn’t mean you have to. Just because that guy is hitting on you doesn’t mean you have to hand over your phone number. Saying “no” doesn’t make you weak or uncool. It doesn’t make you a dork because you find other activities more stimulating than being at a house with a bunch of people you don’t know mauling each other on the makeshift dance floor. That’s not to say that there’s anything wrong with parties or partying, but know that whether you attest to it or not does not define your character. Those who judge you based off of your decision to attend or to not attend are not worth your time, and their unwillingness to accept your response speaks volumes about who they are. Those lackluster opinions of those around you do not mold your being, nor should you give them the power to. 

It’s okay to say “no.” It’s okay to not be a follower and do as everyone else does. There is no originality in that. It may seem hard to turn down offers in college, especially those who are freshman or transfers who really want to make friends, but know that you should never lose yourself in the process. People should accept you for who you are and not pressure you into doing anything you are unwilling to participate in. 

I don’t want to bash trying new things because, let’s be real, college is the time where it is okay to mess up a bit and explore. It’s the time to change and discover your own passions. However, know when to draw the line. Sometimes saying “yes” can lead to one of the best nights of your life, but sometimes saying “no” can save you from an experience you’d much rather forget.

Colleen Yates is a sophomore Communication Studies major at Texas Christian University. She wants to work in something relating to fashion or beauty and hopes to one day see New York Fashion Week live. In her free time, she loves to sing, catch up on Netflix and, of course, write for Her Campus.
Hayden is a sophomore business major at Texas Christian University. She is a currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus TCU.