Everything You Need to Know About The Bite of ‘89!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

This past summer, two worlds collided when Greta Gerwig’s Barbie movie and Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer were both released on the same day in July. This incredible pop culture phenomenon, coined “Barbenheimer”, created the greatest hype we’ve seen behind two movies we’ve witnessed in a very long time, with everyone planning their personal Barbenheimer experience from outfits to drinks and posting their experience across all social media platforms. 

Well I’m very pleased to announce the next exciting crossover is soon to occur: The Bite of ‘89. Even though it hasn’t been nearly as publicized as Barbenheimer, I am personally even more excited for this highly anticipated event due to my identity as a long-time Swiftie and Five Nights At Freddy’s fan! 

At this point, you may have questions such as What exactly is The Bite of ‘89? Why is this event called The Bite of ‘89? When is The Bite of ‘89? and “What am I supposed to actually do on The Bite of ‘89? No worries, I got you covered with this very handy article!

So…What exactly is The Bite of ’89?

On October 27th, two major pop culture events will be occurring: the first Five Nights at Freddy’s (FNAF) movie will hit movie theaters and Taylor Swift will be releasing 1989 (Taylor’s Version). This is the Bite of ‘89. It’s called the Bite of ‘89 due to 1989, obviously, but also two events in FNAF Lore: The Bite of ‘83 and The Bite of ‘87. What necessarily happened on these two days is not important to this article, but I do encourage you to look into the complicated FNAF Lore whenever you have free time.

To add to the excitement of this October crossover, both the original 1989 album and the very first Five Nights at Freddy’s video game were released in 2014! Nearly a decade later, both fan bases are thriving and both 1989 and FNAF transformed the spaces that they are a part of.

1989 is Taylor Swift’s best-selling album and the album that solidified Taylor Swift’s status from country singer to major pop star. In my opinion, this album became the face of pop music in the mid-2010s, which at the time was an even greater feat, considering just how many iconic pop albums dropped between 2014 and 2016.

Five Nights at Freddy’s took the indie horror game space by storm in 2014 and is still the blueprint for this genre of video game to this day, especially seen by the growing expectation of game lore within indie horror games. Many YouTubers also gained massive success in the late 2010s for picking up this game. So, as you can see, this is a huge day for Gen-Z pop culture!

Okay, fun! But how do we celebrate this?

So now that we’re all on the same page and super excited for The Bite of ‘89, how do we celebrate?? Well, I’m sure everyone will have their own opinion on how to go about their October 27th, but as a huge FNAF fan and 1989 fan (and Taylor Swift fan in general) since 2014, here are some ideas I have.

Throw a 1989 listening party!

All you need are a few friends and a music streaming platform, but if you really want to go all out, you can totally bring a Polaroid camera too. ;)

Dress up! Dress up! dress Up!

It is Spooky Season after all! Maybe wear a 1989-inspired fit during the day (or whenever you throw your super cool 1989 listening party) and wear an FNAF-themed outfit for the night when you go see the FNAF movie!

After you watch the movie and listen to the album, share your experience! Expect an update on my Bite of ‘89 experience coming to you all very, very soon! <3

Anaya White is a junior at Texas Christian University studying Business Information Systems and Creative Writing! In her free time, she enjoys playing the ukulele, scrolling through Pinterest, and turning her silly little feelings into poems.