This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Starting out as a college freshman, I took everything to class. I took my phone charger, my computer charger, laptop, notebook, folder, snack, sunglasses, and on and on and on. One day, it finally occurred to me that 95% of the stuff I dragged around all day long I hardly ended up using, so here are 4 do’s and don’ts about what to keep in your backpack.

DO: Carry a computer

Most of my notes, assignments, emails, and calendars are on my computer nowadays. You always need your computer in college, so I highly recommend getting a computer that can keep a charge and carrying it around 24/7.

DON’T: Have one notebook for each subject

I know this was a big thing in high school, and everyone carried around notebooks with different subjects in them. It’s just not as necessary in college. Most people will be taking notes on an iPad or on their computer anyways so handwritten notes just are not as common (unless the professor specifies).

DO: Have a folder

Most days I submit and receive grades through my portal, but I still get handed paper copies and need to hold onto certain assignments. This is when it’s useful to have a folder and not cram papers into the bottom of your backpack. You will feel much more accomplished when you take the extra five seconds to put a paper in a folder, as you don’t have to work magic to uncrumple it when you use it again.

DON’T: Have a paper planner

The best move of my life was to get Outlook Calendar. Some people use google calendar and that’s great too. Paper planners are great when you need a visual reminder, but everything moves so fast in college. You need an online calendar that sends you reminders when you have events or things to do. I can guarantee that an online calendar will make you more productive and you won’t miss things.

DO: Invest in good pencils

My biggest pet peeve is when people do not have pens or pencils and choose to write their notes in highlighter. As an accounting major, I need to do handwritten math and erase all the time so using a pen or a highlighter is not as useful. Personally, I have found the BIC mechanical pencils with 0.7mm led to be true heaven on Earth. (I have used these since my freshman year of high school).

DON’T: Use plastic water bottles

I am so proud of my college campus because every single person carries around a reusable water bottle. Whether it is a Hydro Flask, Stanley Cup, Simple Modern cup, or Ello water bottle everyone has one. I highly recommend spending the money (they usually range from $20-$50) and investing in one for yourself. It’s so much better for the environment, and you can get them in every color imaginable. If you want an added bonus, you can buy a Britta water pitcher so that you can constantly fill up your water whenever you’re in your dorm.

DO: Carry an emergency snack

If you’re like me and can get hangry or have migraines when you do not eat enough, you definitely need an emergency snack. I tend to carry around a Chewy granola bar, but I know people that carry around trail mix, gummy snacks, candy, or chips. It’s just something that if you ever need it, it won’t go bad and it is always there for you. Somedays it’s so busy that you don’t have time to go and stand in line for 30 minutes to buy a snack, so having a quick snack is essential even if you don’t use it right away.

DON’T: Carry your textbooks to class

Unfortunately, in most colleges, you do not have lockers and when you leave your dorm then you leave it for the day. Textbooks are incredibly heavy and can really weigh your backpack down. Try to find the textbook online or take photos of what you need before you leave your dorm.

*Pro Tip: Don’t buy your textbooks before the first week of class. I know it’s nerve-wracking but unless your professor specifically tells you to read something before class, you often won’t need it. Usually, professors are required to have a textbook for the course even if they don’t use it. They are expensive already so wait until you get your syllabus and trust me. Nothing is worse than buying a textbook and then finding out you don’t need it.

Ainsley Elliott is a sophomore at TCU currently majoring in accounting with a minor in Geography on the Pre-Law Track. She is passionate about sports, the Bachelor, and all things pink! Her idol is Elle Woods, and during her free time you can catch her doing spin class or trying to learn a new hobby!