Cadet Emily Meyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Not only is Emily a Her Campus TCU Staff writer, but she’s a new cadet in the United States Air Force ROTC program at TCU. Check out this interview with Emily!

Q: What made you decide to join the Air Force ROTC program?

A: “I have been thinking about it for a few years because my family has a history with the military. My uncle is retired Army and my grandfather served in the Air Force, so it was always in the back of my mind, but I wanted to see what college would be like without it first. I went through my first year of college and loved it, but knew there was something missing. I ran cross-country in high school and I missed having that team atmosphere. I wanted to get the most out of my college experience and for me that meant going above and beyond the routine of simply going to class, studying, and being in a sorority. So during the spring of freshman year, I decided to join, signed up in the fall, and now I’m here!”

Q: How would you describe an average ROTC week?

A: “When I first started the program, that was a big concern for me because I wanted to make sure I had enough time for homework, Sigma Kappa, and sleep! It turns out that the commitment is really manageable. The Air Force takes academics very seriously so our studies always come first. We take a class each week to learn more about the Air Force and then attend ‘Lead Lab’, which is for two hours every Thursday. During Lead Lab, we learn to march, do drills and commands, and learn the basics of being in the Air Force and how to be a good cadet. We also have physical training twice a week and that is when we run and do our push-ups and sit-ups. We also have the opportunity to serve our community and help out during TCU football games. There are so many cool ways to get involved with AFROTC!”

Q: How does it feel to be one of the only girls in the program?

A: “I hardly notice it, to be honest. Our AFROTC program is pretty small, which is nice because it’s really easy to get to know people. It’s a great atmosphere to be in because everyone is so supportive and friendly. Everyone pushes each other during physical training and cheers each other on. There are a few older girls in the program who are incredible role models and leaders. I’ve only been in the program for a few weeks but I’m so excited for what lies ahead. It’s so cool knowing that within a year, I could be one of the people helping run the program. Having such a small group of girls is really neat because the guys challenge us to keep up with them during PT. They push me to work even harder and set bigger goals.”

Q: What has been the most challenging aspect of ROTC, physically and mentally?

A: “Physically, the push-ups are the biggest challenge for me. I’m a runner so my strengths lie more with the running portion of physical training rather than the upper body workouts. But that’s going to change! I’ve only been a cadet for about six weeks but I’ve already gotten so much stronger and I’m able to do more push-ups than I’ve ever been able to do in the past. It’s really neat to see everyone reaching their fitness goals. Mentally, time management is a big one for me. Air Force ROTC is really structured and it has helped me manage my time really well since I have such a tight schedule to stick to. Now that we have early morning workouts on certain days, I do my homework earlier and (try to) go bed earlier too. It’s all about finding the right balance. Since joining, it’s been easier for me to balance all of my commitments, both with school and Sigma Kappa, so I’m grateful for AFROTC and the structure it provides.”

Q: Describe the post-graduation commitment. How do you hope to serve in the Air Force?

A: “After graduating and commissioning as a second lieutenant, the service commitment is four years in the Air Force. That is the coolest thing ever because you come out of college with a job already lined up for you! In my case, I’m taking a bit of a different career route. I hope to become a JAG (Judge Advocate General) for the Air Force, which is basically a lawyer for the Air Force. So for me, that means three years of law school and then I would complete my years of service as a JAG after I graduate from law school. There are a lot of incentives to serve longer than just four years- you keep climbing the ranks the longer you serve and the opportunities the military provides are endless. A typical desk job never appealed to me- I’ve always wanted to be out in the field, exploring new places and meeting new people. Joining AFROTC allows me to work in my dream career field while serving my country and lets me travel around the world while leading others. Now that is an opportunity I definitely cannot pass up!”

Photos courtesy of Emily Meyer