This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

We’ve all seen those makeup girls on our “Explore” page of Instagram: the pouted lips, head tilted sideways, the perfect lighting, and skin so flawless, their pores are almost undetectable.

Well I’m here to tell you one thing: you don’t have to be like them. A lot of those people do it for the likes, endorsements, or heck, who knows, probably because it’s personally esteeming (on the surface). 

I’ve complied a list of whom I think the best beauty Youtubers/bloggers/Instragrammers (is that a thing?) are that you should’ve been following yesterday. They aren’t like those typical Instagram makeup girls. These people have given me, and thousands of others, advice on the best (and price-friendly) products and application tips. This list, ranked in no particular order, has a little bit of something for everyone, no matter what your agenda or goal.

1. Tati Westbrook

Photo Source

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: @GlamLifeGuru

Tati gives the most objective and thorough reviews of products. She has different series on her channel that tailor to anyone’s specific needs, a few of my favorite being…

• “WTF??” — after trying overpriced, luxury items, Tati explains if they’re worth the money.
  • “Hot or Not” reviews.
  • “Tip Tuesdays” — quick, 3-minute videos on easy beauty tips that’ll make your day/routine much easier.

Also, if you struggle with any skincare issue, she has extensive reviews, that she updates regularly, on skincare products and regimens.

Why you should follow her: If you’re looking for a role model to look up to, personally and beauty-related, Tati keeps it way real and she’s your girl.

2. Wayne Goss

Photo Source

YouTube: WayneGoss; Twitter: @GossMakeupArtis; Facebook, Website, & Instagram: @GossMakeupArtist

I’ve been watching this man since 8th grade, around 2009/2010. He has not changed, but I have because of him, and I appreciate it so much. As his handles above suggest, he is a professional makeup artist, who’s from and resides in the UK. He is seriously the most subtlety adorable man you’ll see on the Internet. He purposefully keeps his videos short and sweet — he doesn’t beat around the bush and he gets to the point. He is insanely obsessed with the look of natural skin and makeup and gives you the perfect answer to every beauty question that you’ve been burning to ask, but you thought was impossible to answer. Additionally, he has his own line of brushes that I hear are out-of-this-world, so yeah, he knows a few things.

Why you should follow him: If you don’t have much time but want to tend to any and all of your makeup problems, give Wayne a follow.

3.  Jackie Aina

Photo Source

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram: @JackieAina

I rarely add YouTubers to my subscription box and fall in love with them immediately. It’s takes time for me to get to know their personality, reviewing methods, and style. But even though I just started watching Jackie last semester, I’ve fallen in love. She never fails to make you laugh or encourage you in every single video and Instagram post. She’s outrageously funny and honest, gorgeous and strong. Big bonus: she probably gives some of the best tips for you lovely ladies of color, but also incorporates tips for every skin color – she doesn’t put any one kind of person in a box. She’s conscientious of all of her viewers, their needs, and what they’re looking for in a “makeup guru.”

Why you should follow her: If you need someone to talk beauty and laugh with like you’re at a sleepover, and get educated while doing it, Jackie is your friend.

4. Emily Eddington

Photo Source

YouTube, Instagram, Twitter: @EmilyNoel83; Facebook and website: BeautyBroadcast

I’ve watched Emily since I was at least 14. She used to be a local news anchor, so she’s learned some of the most valuable makeup tips there are. She’s lovably nerdy, funny, and seeing her baby and husband on-screen always makes my heart flutter. Although most well-known beauty YouTubers have “series” or “playlists” covering one certain issue or topic, like Tati’s listed above, Emily by far has some of the most unique and pertinent series out there. Here are my favorites:

• Makeup Dupes: “dupe” is an abbreviated word for “duplicate” used over the YouTube and online beauty community. They’re some of my favorite videos because she looks through her extensive makeup collection, and discovers items, one usually luxury, and the other drugstore, that are almost or exactly identical.
  • Top Makeup Products: These videos are compiled of products she’s discovered, re-discovered, unknown products you have to try, and others. It’s a great way for the viewer to also look at their collection and consider their best options.

Why you should follow her: Want inexpensive options to look and feel great? Or get real opinions on if popular products are actually worth the hype? Go hit Emily up.

Honorable mention:

• Jaclyn Hill: I didn’t list her above because I haven’t watched her for long, but she easily gets over one million views on almost all her videos, so she deserves a shout-out. Considered a YouTube beauty guru and queen, Jaclyn knows what’s up.
  • Allison Anderson: Gorgeous, knowledgeable, cute style, and knows how to make herself and her viewers present their best selves.
  • Ingrid Nilsen: Gives all kinds of tips on beauty, life, food, and health. Impossibly adorable, she makes you feel like you’re her friend, sitting right there with you.

Photo Source

A proud Houstonian who loves and believes in the power of Jesus, music, travel, food, art, and culture. Staunch believer in the Oxford Comma. JJ Watt may or may not be the light of my life.