This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Luke, Ashton, Gibby, and Max have completely monopolized my summer playlists. Their college-garage-surf rock hybrid could take the industry by storm at any given moment. Here’s why you should keep an eye on them:

Sun Room is reviving the surf rock scene, which has been relatively stagnant since the 1990s. When you think of surf rock, you should immediately begin with Dick Dale. You’ve definitely heard his influential guitar style featured in The Black Eyed Peas’ “Pump It” (no shame if the Peas were also your favorite band as a 7-year-old).

After Dale, The Beach Boys made surf rock accessible from California to NYC and all around the world with “Pet Sounds.” Surf rock had little impact on the music industry after “Pet Sounds,” but a resurgence is underway. Sun Room is bringing back the beachy vibes, and fans are here for it.

Disclaimer: these songs will quite literally transport you to the Cali coast- you might wanna grab some sunscreen if you’re diving into their tunes ;)

“Somewhere Tropical” – from Somewhere Tropical EP

This dreamy, classic take on a day at the beach will have you humming along with the band and imagining the glorious reverb of crashing waves. Sun Room uses bubbly background vocals and carefree chord progressions to keep this song low-key and definitely a vibe.

“Crashed My Bike” – Single

This song was my first encounter with Sun Room, and from the first strum of the guitar, I was hooked. “One day I just might figure all this out / but not quite yet, at least for now,” says lead singer Luke in an effort to “just roll the dice” and focus on the sunnier side of life.

“Clementine” – Single

An innovative single for the band, “Clementine” showcases the band’s potential and direction for their upcoming music (and is a precursor in style to their latest single, “I Want You”). This song is poppier and less punk than the band’s earlier sound, heard in the addition of bigger drums, clapping sound effects, and the near-absence of background vocals.

“I Want You” – Single

Sun Room returns to their roots while implementing newer studio techniques to make their most unique song to date. The lyrics are spat out so fast you can barely keep up until the chorus rings out, “I… want… you,” and a cacophony of Luke, Ashton, Gibby, and Max’s voices are heard shouting, “I WANT YOU SO!” If you feel compelled to cheer along, you’re not alone— it’s impossible not to delight in this summer anthem.

Ella McClure Mercer is a journalism major at the Bob Schieffer College of Communication at TCU, where she reports for TCU 360. She wrote her first song on the piano when she was 10 and hasn't stopped playing since. Originally from Nashville, Ella spends her free time drinking coffee, eating at fun restaurants, and going to concerts. Instagram: @old.eller Twitter: @oldeller_