Amazing Vietnam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

“To educate individuals to think and act as ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community.”  The TCU mission statement illustrates how we as horned frogs pride ourselves on the diversity and culture represented throughout the campus.  One particular group that embodies the ideals of diversity and strives to educate students and other community members on different cultures is the Vietnamese Student Association.  This student group works hard year-round by putting on activities in order to spread Vietnamese culture around campus.  Their most recent event was a show called “Amazing Vietnam: Are You a True Seafarer?”, performed on March 17 in the BLUU Ballroom.

The night began with a traditional Vietnamese dinner, served by TCU staff and members of VSA.  Some of the food served included pork chops, Bok choy and tofu, and an authentic Vietnamese soup.  The food was unique to many people attending the show, but all were pleased and well-fed.

After dinner, audience members settled in as the lights dimmed and the show began.  The story of a city boy named Linh living in Saigon, Vietnam, “Amazing Vietnam” tells of Linh’s journey as he realizes he has been sheltered by living in the city his whole life and has not had the opportunity to gain real-world experience.  His parents agree to send him on a trip to a sea village where he will encounter new people and experiences not available in the city.  After a long trip with many adventures in itself (including meeting the TCU a cappella group, the Horned Tones), he finally arrives in the village.  His journey is not over, though.  He soon encounters a near-death drowning experience, but he is rescued by a village girl who brings him back to her house and nurses him back to health.  The girl, Vi, then agrees to show Linh around her village, introducing him to authentic sea-village festivals, songs, and dances.  Later, Linh meets Vi’s father, who has the dangerous job of fisherman on the rough seas.  Linh begs to go with Vi and her father on the next voyage, but the fisherman refuses, claiming it is too dangerous.  However, Linh makes a deal with Vi and she sneaks him onto the boat.

Linh is not discovered until the boat has already left, but by then it is too late.  A storm hits, and the boat capsizes, throwing its passengers overboard.  Though he struggles as a swimmer, Linh does his best to save Vi’s father, and they are both rescued.  The story ends as Linh decides it is time to return home to Saigon.  He reflects on all that he has learned about himself and the world around him and bids Vi goodbye.

Full of both playful humor and serious topics, “Amazing Vietnam” dealt with issues such as the death of Vi’s mother and her methods of dealing with the tragedy, as well as Linh’s own journey to find the true seafarer in himself.  As Linh says in the end, “The sea is full of uncertainties, but that is its true beauty.”  He realizes this reflects his own life.

After the show, VSA president Tu Huynh spoke to the audience and thanked the volunteers who made the show possible.  VSA worked for 74 days on the show, and their efforts were clear through the elaborate backdrops, props, and authentic costumes that were shipped from Vietnam.

“Amazing Vietnam” gave all viewers a glimpse into a certain aspect of Vietnamese culture, all while allowing for a fun and wholesome night.  VSA puts on a new show every year, so make sure to get your ticket next spring for a view into the amazing world of Vietnam. 

Photos by Londyn Bull

Londyn is a freshman at TCU from Longview, Texas. She is a Child Development pre-major and Music minor, and is involved in the Chancellor's Leadership Program, Autism Speaks, and theEnd. At any given time you can find her watching The Office, enjoying a sunset, or eating rocky road ice cream. Her one true love is her hammock.