All The Advice You Need For The Best “Eras Tour” Experience Ever!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

I should be dead right now.

Let me clarify. You know how you have this secret bucket list in your head of wild things that will never happen to you but in your mind you’ve made a stipulation that those things MUST happen before you can die in peace? We all have one don’t lie.

Now, my list had very few things on it (does that mean I’m dreaming too big or too small, I wonder?) but the most important item on the list was, as follows: See Taylor Swift live in concert.

Since adding that item to my list, I was blessed by the powers that be. The universe took over Ticketmaster and gave me access to Taylor Swift tickets for not one, but TWO shows! I recently attended my second concert in Houston, Texas, after seeing Taylor in Arlington a few weeks back. I had the most amazing, indescribable time ever and I am so so thankful for my opportunities. I cannot believe I got so lucky.

So like I said, item off the checklist, the Reaper should be at my door. But he’s not, and I’m here, and I have advice.

I think one of the ways I can pay my luck forward is to pass on whatever knowledge I can to help fellow Swifties who are attending future concerts as much as possible. Without further ado, here is my list of tips, tricks, suggestions, and more for going to “The Eras Tour.”

Oh, and no spoilers in case you want everything to be a surprise. I got you.

1. Your outfit is more than enough as is.

I know it’s hard to justify a cute top and jeans when people are dressed as mirrorballs and heartbreak princes, but trust me, it’s just important that YOU feel cute and confident. You’re going to be in that outfit for a long time and take hundreds of photos. My advice is to commit to something you can wear again in the future. For example, I wore this red crop top from Amazon and white jean shorts to one show and a flowy pink dress with glittery tights for the second show. I can wear all of these items for other occasions, and I managed to dress for an era while sticking to my own subtler style.

2. You need comfortable, durable shoes.

When I tell you you will be walking, jumping, dancing, standing, etc. for more than six hours, I’m not lying. Those shoes are going to be your ride or die. I know you want to wear the sparkly boots, and power to you if you do, but I have plantar fasciitis (that’s an old lady foot problem for anyone wondering), and my feet would simply perish. I recommend cute and comfy tennis shoes or your personal equivalent. Also, make sure the shoes won’t fall apart while walking. My mom wore a pair of shiny black flip-flops with a heel and they snapped in two walking from the stadium to our hotel. She walked barefoot for a mile!

3. Walk!!!

I cannot recommend this enough. I walked to and from the stadium for one concert (our hotel was a little over a mile away) and drove to and from for one concert (same hotel distance). Walking there and back was 20 minutes each way, and you just followed the crowd of fans dispersing from the stadium. Yes, it’s rough on your body after a long concert, but it’s better than the alternative. Driving there, even with a close, specified parking lot and leaving early, it took us an hour to get from our hotel to a parking spot. When the concert ended, it took more than an hour (even after waiting in the stadium for 20 minutes) to drive from the parking lot back to the hotel. If at all possible, try to walk instead of driving. If you need to Uber, walk 20 minutes away before ordering one.

4. Buy earplugs.

I made a mistake. Twice. I thought I had young ears. In fact, I suffered immensely after both concerts thanks to the sheer volume of the stadiums screaming every word to every song for three hours. Lots of people online recommended these earplugs from Loop. I for sure would suggest at least trying a pair. Protect your ears!

5. Snacks are a must.

The fact is, this concert really starts at 3 PM and ends at 12 AM, even though Taylor doesn’t hit the stage until 8 PM. Stadium food is fine but not the most filling, and you don’t have the most time (or funds, perhaps) to eat a full meal. If you can, stock your car or hotel room with water and snacks for after the concert. Trust me, you’ll be hungry, thirsty, and tired and you won’t want to wait in a 45-minute fast food line to get some sustenance.

6. Obtaining merch like a mastermind.

Here’s the merch rundown. If you want that infamous blue crewneck or the grey quarter zip hoodie, you need to be in line before 8 AM on the day the merch truck visits your city before the concert. A hard truth, but a truth indeed. I did not have the means or the desire to go that hard for a jacket, but if you have a will this is the way. If you just want one of the more basic sweatshirts, t-shirts, posters, etc. wait until your concert day! You do not need to get to the stadium super early to get merch! There are tents inside the stadiums and outside, and most of them have the exact same selection. Browse around and pick the shortest line whenever you get there. I recommend the booths on the higher levels because less people sit/walk/run up there early on. In Arlington, my sister and I sprinted up four flights of stairs at 3:45 when the doors opened and waited maybe 5 minutes to get our t-shirts. In Houston, we cruised up to the third level at 5:30, waited maybe 10 minutes, and got sweatshirts that had been sold out in Arlington. Don’t stress babes.

7. Film those TikToks!

This should really say “Finish those TikToks”, but I digress. Do all the trends and silly dances in your outfit! This is a once (or maybe twice) in a lifetime experience, so document it as much as you can! If you film a transition or the first half of a video to finish during the concert, don’t forget to do that too (can you tell I have half-completed TikToks stockpiled in my drafts?).

8. Bag policies.

Check your stadium’s bag policy!! Each one has different stipulations. In general, what I’ve found is to bring clear bags only (no fanny packs or lululemon belt bags) and keep your portable chargers smaller than the size of a credit card. The bag checks aren’t hardcore, but better safe than sorry.

9. Bathroom breaks.

Alright, you cannot be afraid to use the men’s restroom. I’m sorry, I know it’s a boundary violation. But 85% of the concert population is going to be women, and of the 15% that are men, about half of them are probably gay, and the other half are dads and boyfriends who love the women in their family. This is Taylor’s factual demographic. That being said, the lines for the women’s bathroom will be long, gender is a performance anyway (thanks to interpersonal communication) and the REAL performance that everyone cares about is the concert. So caution to the wind, hover if you need to, get in, and get out, whatever shaped person is marking the entrance to the toilet.

10. Have fun!

This is implied, but 10 is better than 9.

I hope this list helps you prepare for your leg of the tour! Sing your heart out and enjoy every moment!

Colleen Wyrick is President of the Her Campus at TCU chapter. She enjoys writing about current pop culture events, female empowerment, and her latest book/TV interest. She loves her role and connecting with new members! Colleen is an aspiring writer/editor/publisher/professor and is a junior (*sigh*) at Texas Christian University studying English and Communication. In addition to Her Campus, she contributes to academic publications for the English Department and works for TCU’s social media team. She is very passionate about books, Marvel, chocolate, soccer, and all things comfortable. You can find her doing anything and everything because she loves new adventures!