This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Merriam-Webster defines a fangirl as “A girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something.” The term has existed for a long time: author Alan Patrick Herbert is credited with using the term ‘fangirl’ in his novel Holy Deadlock in 1934.

From Beatlemania in the 1960s to Swifties and BTS’ ARMY, female-prominent fan bases have greatly influenced the success and popularity of celebrities.   

This phenomenon originated even earlier than the 1900s, though. The 19th-century Hungarian composer Franz Liszt, a virtuoso pianist, was known for creating “hysteria” during his concerts. People employed the term “Lisztomania” to describe women’s “craziness” for the musician. Women fought for his personal belongings and collected souvenirs from his concerts; doctors seriously believed the women’s behavior was a disorder and searched for a cure.

Fangirls are key determinants of the economic and social success of any celebrity. However, the term still holds a negative connotation: it is often used mockingly to describe “hysterical” behavior and to dismiss respectability.

Fangirls are crucial to artists’ success: they help budding musicians grow and are vital to marketing. One Direction, a famous boy band with a large teenage girl fanbase, made $130 million in 2015 and $110 million in 2016, even though they released no new music in those years.

With the rise of the digital era and social media, fandoms have expanded. Young women are one of the most active demographics on the internet; they create new trends and support celebrities through technology. 

Yet a subconscious bias still exists. As a woman, how many times have you been asked to name at least a song from the band you’re wearing on your shirt? 

The sexism behind the word “fangirl” is still a reality. Society deems a young man who shows enthusiasm and actively supports his favorite sports team passionate while referring to a young woman who exhibits the same behavior as “obsessive” or “hysterical.”

Outside the music industry, the same judgment exists. In the past years, the fanbase for Formula 1 has expanded; young females now comprise a large portion of the sport’s audience. The fangirlification of F1 through TikTok and other platforms is a phenomenon that has created debate and controversy.

Hi! I am a Sophomore, journalism major from El Paso, TX. I love fashion, writing and reading <3