4 Alternatives to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

Valentine’s Day—the day eagerly awaited by many in anticipation for a cute, romantic, perfect date with their cute, romantic, perfect boyfriends. Couples plan picnics in the park, dance under gazebos, and dine in fancy restaurants. These are all respectable ways to spend Valentine’s Day and the excitement for them is completely understandable, but let’s face it—those of us lacking in the romance department view the day more as an impending giant florescent light illuminating our single status for all the world to see. It’s like the day was invented for the sole purpose of reminding us once again that we are apparently immune to Cupid’s Arrow. So here’s four ways you can spend your Valentine’s Day so it won’t be the lonely, miserable day you fear.

1. Netflix Binge—This one’s a no-brainer. Netflix has a show or movie for every mood: dramas (if you want to live vicariously through someone as boss as Olivia Pope, for example), rom-coms (in case you need re-affirmation that you deserve someone like Ryan Gosling and not your ex), and those of the insanely-addictive-can’t-stop-watching genre like Orange is the New Black. And you won’t even have to leave your bed!

2. Galentine’s Day—The best way to celebrate Valentine’s Day is, in my opinion, to round up all your lady-friends for a quality GNO, courtesy of Leslie Knope. Forget your boyfriends (or imaginary ones), and spend a few hours with your best friends. Like Carrie Bradshaw once said, ‘Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates, and boys are just people to have fun with.’

3. Fam-entine’s Day—Spend some time with your family, who love you more than anyone does. You could go shopping with your mom and get brunch at your favorite restaurant. Father-daughter dates are also very cute and very fun—share in an activity he enjoys, like clay shooting or hiking, and then go out to dinner. Or you could go on a walk with the whole family, siblings included! Whatever you decide, it’ll make their day!

4. Treat-Yo-Self—perhaps the best idea on this list. Reward yourself for being such a smart, independent, resourceful woman; buy that dress you saw window-shopping…and those shoes that call your name. While you’re at it, go ahead and pick up that Naked Palette because you definitely need another one. Get your nails done, go to the spa. There’s no limit to the joys of treating yo-self!

At the end of the day, Valentine’s Day is about expressing love to all. Whether it’s your best girl friends, your family, yourself, or our good friend Netflix, no expression of love is unworthy. So with this in mind, my wonderful single friends, go face February 14th with strong hearts and the bravado of one who don’t need no man!

Photo Source

Emily is a sophomore English & History major at Texas Christian University. In her spare time she likes reading, jamming to Taylor Swift, and looking up videos of celebrities falling on stage. At TCU she has fun being involved in Alpha Delta Pi sorority, the Honors College, Model UN, Yoga Club, and Her Campus TCU.