Wellness

Alone, Not Lonely: Why spending time alone is beneficial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCU chapter.

As a proud introvert, I’ve spent most of my life relishing in my time alone. It wasn’t until I got to college, however, that my alone shifted from being a time of personal oasis to a time of stress and anxiety.

The periods that once represented an escape from the worries and stressors of the world became a time when I stressed over not doing “enough.” I often worried that I wasn’t putting enough effort into my budding friendships by not spending every second with my friends or that I was not putting enough of my newfound free time into my studies. While it’s necessary to dedicate time to such aforementioned activities, I’ve discovered that time by myself isn’t just okay, but also essential to my mental health and well-being. 

Here are five reasons you should take some alone time (and enjoy every second of it!):

Time alone allows you to discover new passions.

When you’re constantly surrounded by others, it may be difficult to focus on things that you find exciting. Utilize the alone time to explore what you love! 

Time alone increases productivity.

While a study session with others is undoubtedly entertaining, time free of distractions from others may boost productivity. 

Time alone allows for reflective thinking.

Without major distractions, I often utilize my time alone in the library, my room, the gym, or simply walking to class to think clearer and deeper.

Time alone inspires independence.

By becoming comfortable being alone, you become more comfortable with yourself and your ability to accomplish tasks alone. While you shouldn’t disregard the value of collaboration, solitude inspires you to trust yourself and your capabilities. 

Time alone adds value to current friendships. 

Distance makes you realize how special the presence of others truly is. That’s why when you emerge – more energized and less stressed – from your time alone, being around others in all their uniqueness is even more rewarding. 

Avid reader and writer from Oregon taking on Texas life at TCU.