Your Campus Resources: TCNJ’s Tutoring Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Now that the semester is underway, due dates for papers and exams are quickly approaching, and you may find yourself needing some extra help. TCNJ’s Tutoring Center can give you the help you need and alleviate your stress.

Available to you free of charge, there’s no reason not to use the Center.
Located in Roscoe West 101, it’s open Monday thru Thursday from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM and Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Any help you need from the Tutoring center is already included in your tuition, so you might as well use it!

You’ll find help you can trust.
The peer tutors all go through a competitive application process and are then required to take a five to 10 week training course.

“It’s flexible and the people are chill,” says sophomore, Sahnaz Saleem, who has used the tutoring center for extra help in Linear Algebra and Proof Writing through Discrete Math. She says she would definitely recommend the Tutoring Center to students struggling in their courses.

Another sophomore who found the Tutoring Center helpful is Caitlyn Curtin. “For me, hearing another student’s
explanation of the material made it click,” she says.

The Tutoring Center has many options, offering students different choices depending on the help they need. You can set up 50-minute, weekly sessions for assistance in Liberal Learning or foundation and upper level courses. You’ll be given a tutor to help you and another student in the same course, taught by the same professor.

So how do you get a tutor?
Sophomore peer tutor, Julia Baaklini says the key is to apply for a tutor as early as possible, “otherwise you may be on the wait-list due to a high demand for tutors.” Also, when applying, she says to be sure to give the Tutoring Center all of your available time slots. This will make it easier for them to pair you with someone.

In need of last-minute help?
The Tutoring Center also offers drop-in tutoring in Room 123 in the library. Stop by Sunday 8 p.m. to 10 p.m., Monday, Wednesday or Thursday 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. for either 20-minute writing conferences or help in math, physics, bio, or chem.

So whether you’re struggling in that Econ class or are just looking for an extra pair of eyes to look over an essay, the Tutoring Center will have the help you need.