This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

We have all heard the saying “Right person, wrong time”. And for years I believed this to be true because how could it not be? I convinced myself that life sometimes gets in the way of the person who is meant to be your forever and it is simply just the wrong time in life that the two of you met. We constantly get stuck asking ourselves questions like, “What if the two of us were to have met in 5 or 10 years? Would it be different?” or “What if in the future the two of us will somehow re-enter each other’s lives? What’s meant to be will be, right?”.

I am going to be completely honest and tell you that this is simply false hope. “Right person, wrong time” is built on a fantasy that revolves around two people who share an immense connection, but certain situations and circumstances ended up tearing them apart. The whole reason for this “excuse” for not being together is because the timing is not right. We allow ourselves to believe that this person is right, but the time is wrong. Instead, why can’t we look at it as…wrong person, right time? 

How about this, what if you were supposed to meet that person in that phase of your life because that is what was intended for the two of you? Why does it always have to be the right person wrong time but instead it was the perfect time because in the end, you were able to have someone so special. Why in today’s world can’t those memories just be memories and lessons? Why is it that a relationship ending can’t just end because life simply did just get in the way and two people just parted ways? Maybe that person came into your life to teach you lessons and help you grow as an individual and make you the person you are today.

Relationships are meant to be wonderful and amazing. 

Relationships are also meant to be scary and sometimes sad.  

But relationships are also to be learning lessons that teach you not only how you love but how you will and should love yourself.

Personally, I can say that every relationship I have previously been in has not been easy or a fairytale for that matter. But I can confidently say that those relationships have all had a lesson within themselves. I have become the person I am today because of those lessons I learned and because of those heartbreaks I went through. I have allowed myself to guard my heart yet let it be loved by someone who is worthy to hold my heart. Those relationships were not easy, and a lot of tears came from them but in the end, I am so thankful for them. 

So just maybe that person that you thought was going to be your forever person walking out of your life is just what was meant to be. Let those people walk away so that when the right person walks into your life you will be ready to be loved the way you are meant to be. It may be the biggest heartbreak of your life, but it is simply one heartbreak away from your forever person. 

I am a huge believer that everything happens for a reason. So, embrace change and grow from it because at the end of the day life has a funny way of working out but remember that whatever happens is meant to happen. 

Emma Pascarella is a Senior attending The College of New Jersey. Emma is majoring in Journalism&Professional writing with a minor in Psychology in hopes to be a broadcast journalist when she graduates! Emma is also a member on the women’s soccer team at The College of New Jersey. XOXO