Celina Timmerman-Care Free
Celina Timmerman-Care Free
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Wellness

Why One Size Will Never Fit All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I questioned whether or not to write this article for a long time. It sat in the back of my head waiting for me to open the box, and in turn open the world to its harshest critical eye. Young women are subject to one of society’s greatest achievements in the lense of judgement. It creeps into the shadows of each individual’s mind, slowly turning and causing room for second guessing and lack of confidence. The notion that one size fits all, continues to suppress feelings of self worth from everyone who has tried it on.

As a young girl, you are taught to be confident, you are taught to be strong, to be smart, and to be helpful. They teach you what you should be, but in your most basic need, they undermine who you are. Brands that tempt young women to be on trend, and feed off the desire to be presentable to society, are those that have thus created the unimaginable beauty standard that hit so far off the mark, it has placed doubt onto everyone who has stepped through the storefront threshold.

A victim to this game that fashion has so mercilessly played, I sat in my room, distraught over not being able to fit into the perfect mold society has sculpted together. An athlete that ranges from a size two to four, living a healthy lifestyle, couldn’t come close to fitting into a mediocre skirt society had told me I needed. I squeezed myself into said skirt, and my confidence into its own small box. Distracted by the zipper, I couldn’t quite understand how I was the only one who’s ribs were apparently too big for the highwaisted ensemble; then again, I could always have them removed, can’t I?

Banter aside, I quickly shimmed out of the straight jacket my legs and waist had endured for the last twenty minutes of said experience and crept under my bed covers with my laptop in an attempt to remove any disappointment that lingered on. Rushing to the website, I stared at the skirt that had given me the ultimate backhand of humility and humiliation; the double hitter of embarrassment. Observing with clearest lense on how to return the package I noticed that in fine print, the skewed version of the truth was hiding under my nose the entire time: ONE SIZE WILL BEST FIT 0. 

I laughed uncontrollably, and unable to halt the disgusted feeling pitted in my gut. Undermined by one of the most influential clothing brands to girls everywhere. They know their name, and attempt to shelter you from the truth that everyone is different. No girl is exactly the same, that your weight and your body type doesn’t determine your self-worth. I am not only disappointed in what the fashion world has created for this army of young, independent women who strive for excellence and turn them against themselves by reeking havoc on one of their most vulnerable places to strike. 

Don’t become what society says your size waist is, instead focus on the size of your heart, brain, compassion, and individuality; that is the most rewarding growth you can gain. You are not condemned to “one size” but in fact the most free when you break the ceiling of normalcy in the clothing industry; so don’t be afraid to say that one size will never fit all, and live by that. 

Erin is a senior at The College of New Jersey; she majors in Communications and is minoring in Professional Writing and Graphic Design. Erin is currently HCTCNJ's President. When she's not writing, Erin runs on TCNJ's track team; she loves to read, dance around, and spend time with her friends.
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!