This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I have always been the most outspoken person against running. In the words of Ann Perkins, “Jogging is the worst…! I know it keeps you healthy, but God, at what cost?!” But since options of entertainment have been limited to binge-watching and a lot of other digital options, I wanted to find a way to get out of the house.

Despite my objections about it, I always wanted to learn how to run successfully without being out of breath and quitting after one lap around the track. One of my friends recently went from barely running to running 6 miles over two months. I asked her how she did it and she told me that she used the Couch to 5k Training Program. When I looked into it. I found the app on the app store which tells you when to run and when to walk, and how long the workout is. The app features an 8-week training program which if followed should have you running 5k by the end. The first week started with one-minute intervals of running, which seemed easy enough. 

I downloaded the app, paid an extra $10 to get the entire program on it, and started to run. I may have been swimming for 15 years, but on land sports and activity have never been my strong suit. We have fall training before our season starts where we normally run during a lot of the practices. Every time I end up gasping for air and being one of the last ones to finish. The other reason I wanted to run was to be able to be more in shape for training, along with general health and wellness.

Currently, I am on week 3 and have been amazed that I have run for the 2:30 minute intervals without even looking down at my phone to see how much time I have left. I still have a long way to go before I’m running 3.1 miles without stopping, but I’m actually really excited for my next run. 

Darby VanDeVeen is a senior at The College of New Jersey. On campus, she is involved in the school's primary programming board, the varsity swim team, She's the First, the school newspaper, and works in the athletic department in addition to writing for Her Campus! She loves going to concerts and hopes to work in the music industry upon graduation. Her favorite artist is Taylor Swift, but she can be found listening to music from all genres. She also enjoys photography, bad reality television and iced tea.
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!