Why ‘Dash & Lily’ is Great for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

If you need a show this winter break look no further than Netflix’s ‘Dash & Lily’! This eight-episode series has the perfect combination of romance and comedy to get you into the holiday spirit. The series is originally based on the book Dash & Lily Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn and has two more books following it.

Unfortunately, we only have this one season since it was canceled in 2021. The show even gained three Emmy wins and several nominations for its one season which made the cancellation even more surprising. But, the finale delivers a satisfying and complete ending for both Dash and Lily that still makes it worth the watch.

What is the Show About?

The story is told from two perspectives: Lily is an eternal optimist and lover of Christmas and Dash is a cynical pessimist who hates the holidays. While they seem drastically different, they both often struggle with fitting in with their peers or feeling like they can truly be like themselves. 

The two’s interaction begins when Dash finds Lily’s red book in the local bookstore that says “Do You Dare….?” that contains a set of clues for any teenage boy who is interested in playing. Dash decides to take up this challenge and so their story begins.

The two begin passing back the book, without ever meeting each other, and dare each other to do new things while also revealing more about themselves in the process. 

What Makes Their Story so Enjoyable?

Personally, I’ve never been a big fan of Christmas rom-coms, so this is the first one I’ve really loved. Both of their stories and struggles are so relatable, which makes them such easy characters to root for. I can see myself in both characters and I’m sure others can too.

Dash and Lily complement each other so well, and basically show two sides of the same coin. They help each other answer the question: When life gets tough, how do you deal with it? The two of them teach each other valuable lessons and gain perspective that actually helps them cope with the things going on around them. 

And while there are some dramatic moments to keep things interesting, overall their story is so sweet that it makes you feel good inside as you watch. 

Emma Baby

TCNJ '25

Emma is a junior at The College of New Jersey. She is a Speech Pathology and Audiology major with a Deaf Studies minor.