This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

It’s common to want a tattoo after turning 18, and tattoos are becoming more popular and normalized. They’re a great way to express yourself and let your creativity shine. They can also be a bit daunting and nerve wracking since they are permanent, so it’s important to be educated before committing and getting tattooed. Think of this as a starter guide of things to consider before getting your tattoo.

Finding an Artist

Rather than looking for shops, it might be a good idea to find a specific artist instead, especially if you have a specific design in mind. A good way to find an artist is through word of mouth. If your friends already have tattoos ask where they went to get theirs. If you’re the first person you know to get a tattoo, look around on Instagram to find artists. If you know the design you want, you can see what artists specialize in that or have experience with those types of tattoos. Some may focus more on techniques like linework, shading, color, or more realistic styles. Most artists will have their contact information on their social media, and if not, you can DM them or look on the shop’s website to reach out. 

Design

Even if you can picture exactly what you want in your mind, your tattoo artist won’t be able to read your mind, so it’s important to have plenty of reference photos. You can find these on Pinterest, Instagram, or you can even draw your own sketch if you can’t find something similar enough. You also need to think about if the tattoo will have shading or just linework, if it will have color, and how big it will be. More detailed tattoos may have to be a bit bigger so that the lines don’t bleed into each other and  still look good after it’s healed. 

Placement & Pain Levels

The next step is to decide where to place the tattoo. Some spots are more painful than others, but a few minutes or hours is worth a great tattoo you’ll have for life. Rib and spine tattoos, for example, are popular spots for tattoos but are more painful. Any tattoo that is on or near a bone will hurt more than a tattoo on just muscle. Most spots on your arms, thighs, or calves are typically the least painful. However, everyone has a different pain tolerance and to some, a tattoo might just feel like scratching. You should also think about if you want the tattoo to constantly be visible, or if you may want to conceal it at times. If you might want to hide the tattoo sometimes, good places to put it are the back of your arm, the back of your shoulder, ribs, or ankles.

Pricing

Most tattoo shops have a shop minimum, usually between $50-$100, so no matter how small the tattoo may be, it might cost more than you expect. It’s a good idea to ask for quotes before booking an appointment and ask a few different artists or shops so you know you’re getting a fair and accurate estimate, and not getting overcharged by one shop. When asking for a quote, know the size of your tattoo (“x inches tall”), the placement on your body, if there is shading or color, and bring your reference photos. Tattoos are expensive, but think of it this way; you’re making an investment.

Healing & Aftercare

After the tattoo is done, the artist will normally put Saniderm, or second skin, over it. The amount of time you should leave it on will vary depending on the tattoo and the artist, but usually, it’s on for less than a week. The tattoo should stay out of direct sunlight and should not be submerged in water, like a pool or the ocean, for about a month. You should be putting moisturizer on once or twice a day as well, for at least two weeks if not more. In any case, consult with your artist about how to care for your tattoo. 

Reactions

Unlike piercings, it’s much more risky to get a spontaneous, impulsive tattoo. Think about the design you’re getting for a while, so you know you’ll like it in the future. While it doesn’t have to have a specific meaning, think about why you’re getting the tattoo as well. Similar to piercings, some people, like older generations, may not be  huge fans of tattoos. What matters is that you are confident and happy with it and if so, show it off proudly. 

Grace is a sophomore Journalism & Professional Writing major at TCNJ, minoring in Marketing and Communications. Outside of writing, she also enjoys listening to music, watching movies, and reading.