What TCNJ Guys Really Think About One-Night Stands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Have you ever wondered what real TCNJ guys think about aspects of campus culture?  We all like to know what guys are thinking, especially when it comes to hot topics like one-night stands. I interviewed a panel of TCNJ guys and girls to find out what they think about one-night stands in college and those who partake in them.  I got a ton of different responses from people all over campus.  Keep reading to find out what they said!

When asked what they think of girls who partake in one-night stands, here is how some of the guys responded:

“I’m perfectly okay with guys and girls having one-night stands as long as it’s consensual and the ones involved are not in a relationship with someone else.”

“I would find a girl who has one-night stands a lot less attractive, but I would still have respect for her.”

“I lose no respect for girls or guys who partake in one-night stands as long as the deed is done consensually and not under the influence.A girl who partakes in many one-night stands among many different partners is more likely to lose my respect.  A guy in the same situation will only lose my respect if he goes on to brag about his ‘accomplishments’.”

“I personally don’t think highly of college girls who partake in one-night stands.  Once or twice is no huge deal.  Honestly, it happens and it’s socialized as part of college.  But a habit of it isn’t classy at all.”

“I think no less or more of someone who wants to have a one night stand.  If it’s consensual and no one is harmed, do whatever makes you happy.”

“I think a college girl who partakes in a one-night stand is immature and has low standards.  I believe that sex should be reserved for two people with a strong relationship and that people who participate in-one night stands lack that special connection.”

Some of the girls said:

“I think that a college girl should be able to participate in a one-night stand if she wants to without being judged.  What’s wrong with having a little fun every now and then?”

“I think that she may be giving into pressure either from the guy or from her friends.  But I feel in today’s society it is not something that is as frowned upon as it was in the past.”

“I think it is acceptable if a girl has one or two one night stands.  Yet once it becomes a regular habit or even a few times a month, that is when one crosses the line.  I believe it to be dirty and degrading for the person.  If it were my friend, I would sit her down and see if there is a bigger issue at hand.”

“I think she isn’t very self secure and gains her identity from the way other view her and the attention she receives.”

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.