jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Not to do Your Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Navigating freshman year can be hard for anyone, especially if you’re trying to have the “perfect” college experience. Luckily for everyone reading this, I did everything you should not do your freshman year. Literally. Every. Single. Thing. And I’ve compiled a list so no one has to have the same sub-par experience as me. 

IMG Source

1. Do not understudy! 

Even if you think looking over a study guide for 45 minutes is enough- it isn’t. It’s always better to overstudy and be extra prepared instead of wishing you did more when you look at your exam. 

2. Do not prioritize boys! 

If he’s not Mr. Right or Chuck Bass, he isn’t worth it. The right guy will come when he’s supposed to and you need to focus on being happy with yourself before you can be with anyone else. 

3. Do not limit your friends! 

College is the time to branch out and meet new people. Make as many friends as you can because it never hurts to know a lot of people! College is probably the first time many people are away from home, so making a lot of friends makes it a little less lonely. 

4. Do not stop yourself from doing something because you’re worried what people think! 

In college- NOBODY CARES. Join clubs, do things that interest you, and get involved. If you don’t, then you’re only hurting yourself in the end.

5. Do not prioritize parties! 

There will always be another party to go to. Don’t forget why you’re at college. 

6. Don’t stress yourself out! 

It’s all about balance. You’re at school to do work and get good grades but it’s also good to let loose and destress. Just don’t overdo it.

7. Don’t Uber eats McDonald’s at 12AM! 

If you do this often you will gain the infamous freshman 15. And you. Will. Regret. It. 

8. Don’t stay in a major that makes you unhappy! 

College is about finding your passion and what you want to do in life. If you change your major it isn’t the end of the world. I went from a Biology major to Marketing, and it still is one of the best decisions I’ve made.

9. Don’t do everything alone! 

Colleges have so many resources for students. Reach out to your RA’s for guidance or even talk to your professors. Everyone is willing to help and they won’t know if you don’t ask. 

10. Don’t do things that make you unhappy because you feel like you have to! 

Every person is different. Find out what makes you happy and what doesn’t. College is about discovering yourself and don’t force things to happen. Your happiness will come and you’ll look back and realize you enjoyed every moment of it.

IMG Source

My name is Cecelia Jost and I am a sophomore at TCNJ. I major in marketing and plan on minoring in communications. I love beauty, fashion, and writing and am super interested in magazines and editorials.
Mia is a writer for Her20s and former President of Her Campus TCNJ. She loves Her Campus's ability to empower the women of campus and beyond, and she hopes to continue spreading the site's messages of confidence and positivity. You can most likely find her reading, wandering around Trader Joes, or laying on the beach. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @missmiaingui.