matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

What the Ford Hearings Tell Us About Society’s Views of Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

If you are even somewhat present on social media, or you have walked by anyone with a phone or laptop, I guarantee at least one person was listening to the Ford Kavanaugh hearings on Thursday, September 27th. According to Forbes, 13 million listeners tuned into news outlets at some point to hear the testimonies. Dr. Christine Blasey Ford gave her moving testimony against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, beginning with her opening statement, describing her sexual assault in detail and highlighting the traumatic and lasting effects that Kavanaugh’s actions have had on her. Throughout the statement and the rest of her testimony, Ford explains how the reason she chose to go public with her experience is that she felt the committee should be aware of the assault so they are able to make an informed decision on nominating Kavanaugh as the newest Supreme Court judge.

Kavanaugh’s testimony was both tearful and stern, angry and assertive. He outlined his personal calendar and diary to prove that there was never a party where Ford claims the assault happened. The calendar also reflects who attended each party and Kavanaugh explained how none of the names provided by Dr. Ford were written in for any party. He also went on to explain the list of women who signed off on a letter to defend Kavanaugh (Teen Vogue). He rightfully defended himself but repeatedly dodged the question of whether or not he would like an FBI investigation.

While the hearings exist to provide him with an opportunity to refute any claims and give his own testimony, his responses and past actions were ignorant. Kavanaugh repeatedly explained how he has a wife, daughters, and female friends and expected this to be considered a reason why he could not be the perpetrator of sexual assault. He failed to take responsibility for his yearbook photos and captions that include the phrase, “Renate alumnius”, a reference to a female student at one of the neighboring all-girl schools. Renate’s name is referenced again in a poem that goes “”You need a date / and it’s getting late / so don’t hesitate / to call Renate.” Kavanaugh is seemingly unaware of the effects that the culture he and his friends created and controlled had and still have on the young women around them.

(Photo Source)

This is not only about politics, though. The manner in which this case has been handled and the attacks and accusations made against Ford exhibit that we have learned very little from any sexual assault cases or movements. Even in the times of the powerful Me Too and Time’s Up movements, society still has much more progress to make in terms of respecting women and providing them with safe platforms to speak out that are free from victim-blaming. As a young woman who has experienced sexual harassment, Ford’s testimony was difficult to listen to. But what proved even more upsetting was Kavanaugh’s blatant disregard for he and his friends’ treatment of women, his excuses for why he could not possibly be a predator, and his ignorance to what women experience, backed by Senators such as Lindsey Graham, who called the opportunity for a victim of sexual assault to speak out through a hearing “a sham.”

Social media was also of course exploding with comments and concerns in response to the hearings. But again, for as much support for Dr. Ford as there exists, there are an equal amount of insults and backlash. Examples of this include the Fox News contributor who has since been fired for tweeting that Kavanaugh’s accusers are “lying s**nks” and the plethora of users who have replied to that tweet agreeing.

If Brett Kavanaugh is elected to the Supreme Court after this, it signifies the lack of respect that we as a society possess for women who speak out. It signifies that we do not listen to them when they speak out or take what they say into consideration. It shows women that they can mean something, but their voices cannot. We must be better.

Sydney is a junior marketing major who enjoys spending time with her puppy and going to see her favorite bands live.
Victoria is a senior at The College of New Jersey and a features editor for HCTCNJ.  She is majoring in Journalism and Professional Writing, and minoring in Marketing & Communications.