Week Three: Salad, hibernation, and bad news

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I am obsessed with Whole Foods! I love it.

It’s a magical place where everyone is happy and loves going food shopping…not like other supermarkets where you have to dodge crazy ladies angrily pushing their carts through crowded aisles. Nope. Whole Foods is my new favorite place in the world. If you’re lucky, a nice lady will give you a sample of her delicious, soy-free, vegan burgers.

It seems like everyone there is aware of and happy about their food choices…maybe because they’re not constipated like the processed-food buyers. Speaking of which, my digestion is wonderful!

It’s little things like my digestion that make me feel good about being vegan, but then I visit my grandparents where Italian pastries filled with ricotta cheese and cream taunt me until my mouth waters. Going out to eat is probably the worst, though. I am so sick of ordering salads-hold the chicken, hold the delicious mozzarella cheese, what kind of dressing comes with that? Just because I’m vegan doesn’t mean I should have to choose between salad and wanting to hibernate with my vegan-acceptable foods, right?

I sent my Aunt Dona, Naturopathic Doctor and Master Herbalist, my vegan blog and she sent me this article about the dangers of soy, which further limits my eating options.

Almost all foods, vegan and non-vegan, contain soy isolate and genetically modified soybeans, which, among many other issues, cause hormonal disruption and possible infertility in women and lowered sperm count and mood swings in men. So back to Whole Foods I went to track down products with organic soy or no soy at all, which was very difficult. Fresh vegetables and anything raw are good options, but anything processed like vegan burgers, pizza, and other similar products most likely contain this type of soy, so watch out!

Amy’s Kitchen products are made with all organic products, which means no genetic modification or chemicals, and they are sold on campus, at Whole Foods, and at most other supermarkets. I love the black bean burritos and the veggie pockets.

Whether you’re a vegan or not, heed my advice about soy products, and make sure you know what’s in your food! I have learned so much about food in the last three weeks, and I challenge you to do the same.

Jessica is one half of the fantastic duo founding Her Campus on the leafy suburban campus that is The College of New Jersey. A Journalism major and Communications minor in the Class of 2012, she is a native of Pennsylvania and an adoptive resident of New Jersey. That's why she can't fist pump, but can pump gas. Before Her Campus, Jessica was a newspaper reporter, communications assistant and world traveler, having studied and interned abroad in London. When she's not writing or talking up a storm, Jessica can be found bargain shopping, catching up on a good book, fiddling with her camera or attempting to stay in shape. Other passions include hummus, tickling those ivories on the piano, meeting new people and all things Her Campus.