Voting 101: What you need to know to be an active citizen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I am really, really excited for November 8th, 2011. Why? Besides being three days before 11/11/11, it’s Election Day! This year, the entire New Jersey legislation – the State Senate and the State Assembly – is up for election. This means that it’s time for us to vote! The outcome of this election will have a direct effect on all of us, so make sure that you have your say.

As college students, however, voting can be a little bit trickier. What address do I register to vote under? Where is my polling place? Do I have to drive all the way home to vote on a Tuesday when I have class? Luckily, there are answers to these questions.

Registration
How do I register to vote? Easy! Visit this website, and find your county. Fill out the form, print it out, and fold it. The address is on the form, so it’s ready to be mailed!

When is the deadline to register? The registration form must be received – not just postmarked – 21 days prior to Election Day. This year, that deadline is October 18th.

Who can register to vote? You can register to vote if you are a United States citizen, you will be 18 years old or older on the day of the election, you will be a resident of the state and county you are registering in for at least 30 days before the election, and you are not currently serving a sentence, probation or parole because of a felony conviction.

Should I register at my college address, or at home? You have a legal right to register from your school address. However, if you will be changing your residence each year, you will have to keep re-registering, so it may be easier to register with your home address.

Am I registered already? If you want to check if you have already registered to vote, visit the New Jersey Division of Election’s Am I Registered? page.

Voting
Where is my polling place? To find out where your polling place is, visit the New Jersey Division of Election’s Polling Place Search page.

Do I need to bring ID? You only need to bring ID to vote if you are a first-time voter, who registered by mail and did not provide identification numbers on your registration form, or if the information you provided could not be verified. In this situation, appropriate ID includes:

• Driver’s license
  • Student or job ID
  • Military or other government ID
  • Store membership ID
  • United States Passport
  • Bank statement
  • Car registration
  • Government check or document
  • Non-photo driver’s license
  • Rent receipt
  • Sample ballot
  • Utility bill
  • or any other official document

If you can provide this ID, you are legally allowed to vote.

Do I need to declare a party to vote in this election? Nope, not if you don’t want to. Declaring your party affiliation is only important for primary elections, which generally take place in June. This is because, during primaries, you can only vote for candidates in one party. For the general election, which is the one that is coming up in November, you can vote for whomever you choose.

I can’t get to my polling place because I have class all day/am registered in Idaho/don’t have a car. What can I do? You can fill out a Vote By Mail application!

Vote By Mail

What is Vote By Mail, and do I need it? Vote By Mail ballots were formerly known as absentee ballots. Absolutely anyone can request a Vote By Mail ballot. You don’t need a specific reason. For college students, Vote By Mail is especially useful if you are unable to get to your polling place on Election Day.

• For example: If you registered at your home address, but you live two-and-a-half hours away, and Tuesdays are your busiest day, and you don’t feel like waking up ridiculously early to drive home to vote and come back before class, you might be interested in a Vote by Mail ballot.

How do I Vote By Mail? To fill out an application, visit this website, and find your county. Fill out the form, print it out, and fold it. The address is on the form, so it’s ready to be mailed! You can also apply in person to your County Clerk until 3 p.m. the day before the election, which is Nov. 7 for upcoming NJ elections.

When is the deadline to apply for a Vote By Mail ballot? The registration form must be received – not just postmarked – seven days prior to Election Day. This year, that deadline is Nov.1.

When do I need to send my ballot back in? Your ballot must be received by your County Board of Elections before close of polls on Election Day.

Her Campus has equipped you with everything you need to know about the voting process, so go vote!

For more information, contact Casey at olesko2@tcnj.edu, who is currently interning with the League of Women Voters of New Jersey.