Use Your Pantry Items During COVID-19 With These Simple Dessert Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Whether you have gone outside of your house or not, you probably know that trying to find food and cleaning supplies on supermarket shelves is like trying to find a red and white-striped Waldo (well, in this case, Waldo may not be found). As the pandemic is reaching its peak and more people are contracting COVID-19, supermarkets are limiting the number of shoppers at one time. There’s no need to resort to panic buying, especially when you probably *already* have a half-used bag of chocolate chips and the baking duo (flour and sugar) in your kitchen cabinet.

Because restrictions are stricter than ever, we have memorized every nook and cranny of our houses. Instead of walking on a treadmill at the gym, we are getting our steps in by walking to the fridge for a sweet treat. These cream-filled and chocolate chip cookie-coated delicacies are the perfect quarantine comfort food, so why not use this time (all the time in the world, after all) to whip up more yummy goodness? These simple and uniquely-gourmet dessert recipes are a double win: satisfying that sweet craving and using pantry items you have on hand.

1. Honey Strawberry Muffins

Put your fresh (or frozen!) produce to good, sweet use with a new spin on muffins. Infused with honey, vanilla and strawberry jam, this baked good will make you lose track of how many bites you take of this soft and fluffy treat (side note: add maple syrup instead of honey if that is more your vibe).

2. Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches with Olive Oil Ice Cream 

When I am on the kitchen hunt at 10:00 p.m. for something decadent, nine times out of 10, you can find me reaching for a chocolate chip cookie or a scoop (or two, or three) of ice cream. How about combining them? This recipe from Cloudy Kitchen offers a more unprecedented approach — olive oil ice cream. As an Italian, I can certainly vouch that olive oil makes all of my pasta dinners better, but on ice cream? I have some hesitations, but the photos of the finished product look SO good. And hey, we have unlimited time right now, so today may be the perfect day to give these sandwiches a go.

3. Mixed (and Aesthetically Pleasing) Berry Trifle

If you’re anything like me, you have been stockpiling blackberries, strawberries, and raspberries in your freezer for oatmeal bowls or smoothies. If you are in the mood for a sweet treat, stack these berries in between angel food cake for a delicious trifle and twist on the dessert norm.

4. The BEST Banana Bread (The Dark Chocolate Chip Raspberry Kind

For real though, everyone and their mother is baking banana bread during this quarantine. This decadent loaf is the secret to ranking among the top quarantine bakers from your Instagram feed. Truly I can attest — my best friend and I had a baking day together (before COVID-19, #socialdistancing is real) and it tasted like pure heaven. If you’re on a bread baking kick, add this to your list. And, after you take this oh-so-yummy dessert out of your bread pan, try these 10 bread recipes to continue the trend.

5. A New Twist on S’mores

Chances are, you probably have a half-eaten box of graham crackers, some marshmallows and a Hershey bar hanging around from your last BBQ night. You know, when you could be within six feet of your closest family and friends. But luckily, you can make these satisfying graham cracker s’mores brownie bars for a gooey, chewy and a little crunchy taste on Zoom with your gal pals.

Victoria Giardina is currently studying at the College Honors Program at The College of New Jersey with a major in Journalism and Professional Writing in the School of Arts and Communication and minors in Communication Studies and Interactive Multimedia. She lives in Manalapan, NJ. Her articles and other written work has been featured in "The Dr. Oz Show," (DoctorOz.com), WebMD, Medscape, CNN, and, of course, Her Campus. As a creative, Victoria enjoys reading new books, journaling, spending *too much time* on Pinterest and browsing lifestyle blogs (all with an iced coffee in hand). Check out her digital portfolio here: https://www.victoriagiardina.com.
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!