A Trio Working to End Slavery: Juliana Fidler, Tammy Mall, & Emma Kumpf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

To dream for change is an aspiration, but to enact real change is an entirely different accomplishment. Three TCNJ students are well on their way to cultivating change within our campus community. Juliana Fidler, a Senior English major, Tammy Mall, a Senior Biology major, and Emma Kumpf, a Freshman International Studies major, have successfully brought the International Justice Mission’s campaign Stand for Freedom to TCNJ. The International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures rescue for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation, and other forms of violent oppression. Within IJM, there is a campaign called Stand for Freedom that was started by college students. The Stand for Freedom movement involves a 27 hour stakeout where students raise awareness and money for the often overlooked issues of human trafficking and slavery.

Juliana, Tammy, and Emma have wholly dedicated themselves to this cause. Their efforts for Stand for Freedom are rooted in their involvement with the New Jersey Christian Fellowship. Through NJCF, Juliana and Tammy flew out to St. Louis last December to attend a student missions conference called Urbana. While working on an Urban Poverty segment, the ladies attended a seminar titled “God and Justice.” It was at this seminar where they first learned about the Stand for Freedom campaign. With a determination to embrace their faith through pursuing justice, Tammy and Juliana returned to school in January with an idea. They contacted Emma, a fellow NJCF member who had supported IJM in the past, and together the three planned, advertised, and implemented a Stand for Freedom event at TCNJ.

Beyond their tenacity to organize and run a campus-wide event, these women have chosen to embrace a notable cause that will have a positive and tangible affect on those afflicted by slavery. Juliana’s initial interest in the campaign arose after hearing the sheer numbers associated with slavery. Today there are more slaves in the world than any other time in history- an estimated 27 million. Intertwining their dedication to social justice with their backgrounds in faith, these ladies have taken action against this injustice. Juliana noted via email, “We don’t deserve freedom more than the 27 million people living in slavery do, so we feel the need to use our freedom to give a voice to those whose voice isn’t being heard. Our faith is our motivation for this, but we think that this is something that will resonate with a lot of people on campus, regardless of where they’re coming from.”

From 11AM on March 5th to 2PM on March 6th, these women, along with fellow students, “took a stand” against slavery. A booth was set-up outside of Brower Student Center and there were participants present at the booth for all 27 hours of the stand. The three main goals of the campaign were to meet a fundraising goal of $2,700, to collect 1,000 signatures on a petition to President Obama asking him to take action on this issue, and to educate TCNJ students about the severity of this issue.

The ladies’ overarching goal is to spread awareness about this issue throughout the TCNJ campus so that other students can get involved with the International Justice Mission and other organizations that work to eradicate slavery. The passion and teamwork exhibited by these three women has transcended their affinity for service and led to informing a broader audience about an often unaddressed epidemic. The dedication these women have shown to this cause represents the power we as students have to make an impact on issues that we value. Tammy, Juliana, and Emma exemplify the effort and dedication we as future leaders can implement in our efforts to improve society.

Help these ladies reach their Stand for Freedom goal by donating online and signing the petition here!

Hilarey Wojtowicz is a senior Journalism/Professional Writing major at The College of New Jersey. Hilarey works for TCNJ's Residential Education and Housing Department as a Community Advisor, but is truly aspiring to be the next Carrie Bradshaw. Not only does Hilarey love writing for her campus's chapter of Her Campus, but she enjoys writing about sports for local newspapers, as well. A true Jersey girl at heart, Hilarey is definitely not from the Boston area, but is a huge fan of the New England Patriots. You can find her interning in New York City this Fall at Woman's Day Magazine.