Top 10 Classic Rock Songs Of All Time. Change My Mind. 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

I am not wrong. 

Stairway to Heaven – Led Zeppelin

This song holds one of the longest and most iconic guitar playing of all time. This ode to materialism and its problems take hold in a woman who tries to buy herself into heaven and in reality, it all means nothing if it . This intense build of a journey tells a sad story that will leave you wanting to listen to it again even after it’s finished. 

IMG Source

Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen 

The classic rock ensemble of three songs rolled into one is packed filled with emotion and loss, highs and extreme lows. The instrumentals creates this new world of performance that will make you take out your air guitars and drumsticks while blasting it out your car window. 

IMG Source

Free Bird – Lynyrd Skynyrd

A personal favorite of mine, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird” is notably one of the best songs about finding your own path. This man (presumably) continues on his journey to be his own person aside from what others want/expect of him. Arguably one of the best Classic Rock songs of all time. 

IMG Source

Hotel California – The Eagles

The Eagle’s twisted version of expressing the selfishness of Americans was one of the biggest success stories of all time. The shocking and savoring piece perfectly described the everlying conflict of self indulgence in America. 

IMG  Source

Only The Good Die Young – Billy Joel 

The one that ignited my love for classic rock, “Only The Good Die Young” is debatably one of Billy Joel’s greatest hits as he rocks out to winning the heart of a devout Catholic girl. 

IMG Source

American Pie – Don Mclean

Although the entire song has many metaphors of the issues and current events of the time period, it’s main meaning was the loss of innocence in America revolving around a car crash of rock and roll superstars. This eight and a half minute song is a timeless classic and worth every second. 

IMG Source

Love Reign O’er Me – The Who

One of the best songs of the album, Quadrophenia, this anthem incorporated the sounds of weather in the intro and truly encompassed the emotional aspect of their lyrics. This left me and millions of other truly in awe of the rock opera’s perception of prayer and anger while maintaining the fullest extent of energy. 

IMG Source

Livin’ On A Prayer – Bon Jovi

This self explanatory song is always a crowd pleaser. No matter where you are or when, these lyrics are the ones you truly can’t help singing to.  

IMG Source

Dream On – Aerosmith

“Dream On,” is by far one of the best rock songs that revolves around the harshest truth of life: time passes you by and to live and dream without regrets before your time inevitably ends. 

IMG Source

The Chain – Fleetwood Mac 

One of the bands most successful songs, “The Chain” revolves around the attempt to glue back together a shattered group; some criticisms suggested it was the band’s harsh goodbye to one another but in fact it was this album, Rumors, that was meant to bring them back as one. The emotion and the beat leaves a rhythm in your soul and a tap in your foot. 

IMG Source

These ten songs are arguably are some of the most iconic and emotional anthems in the history of the music industry. Change my mind.

Erin is a senior at The College of New Jersey; she majors in Communications and is minoring in Professional Writing and Graphic Design. Erin is currently HCTCNJ's President. When she's not writing, Erin runs on TCNJ's track team; she loves to read, dance around, and spend time with her friends.
President of HCTCNJ, Panhellenic Delegate for AXiD, Communications Major with Marketing/Management Minors!