The Dos and Don’ts of Holiday Gift Making

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TCNJ chapter.

Handmade gifts can be the perfect avenue to personal, heartfelt and inexpensive gift giving. However, without proper preparation you can quickly get in over your head. With the holiday season just around the corner, here are six dos and don’ts to craft your way through the holidays.

1. Budget Beforehand

Especially for gifts that involve crocheting or knitting, knowing how much your gift will cost is crucial. A knit sweater or a crocheted blanket might seem like a good idea, but dropping $100 on yarn may not be in the budget for this holiday season. Knowing the cost of supplies can keep you from overextending your shopping money or leaving projects unfinished. 

1. Start In Advance

Handmade gifts always take longer than expected. Unlike that passion project you swore you’d finish months ago, this masterpiece has a set deadline. Start sooner to avoid late nights or showing up giftless. Additionally, factoring in some buffer time is always your best bet. The road is less bumpy when you have the time to course correct. 

1. Reduce and Reuse

To avoid worrying about breaking the bank, try using supplies you already have. It can lead to more creative (and sustainable) ideas. Make quilts with scrap fabric, candles with crayons and collage old cardstock to make something new. The appeal of a homemade gift is using what you have to create something special.

1. Stick to What You Know

You know what makes using the supplies you have easier? Sticking with a skill you already have. It’s admirable to learn a new artform just to make a gift for that special someone, but don’t underestimate the skill set you already have. If you aren’t great at crafts but you’re great in the kitchen, you don’t need to be stressed at the craft store. Try baking or cooking something you know your giftee will love. Sticking to what you know is always the best way to make quality gifts.

1. Think about the Recipient

If you’re making a gift, make sure you think about who you’re giving it to. Handmade earrings don’t work on someone who’s ears aren’t pierced. Your painting may be gorgeous but if your roommate loves blank walls and minimalism, it might not be the gift for her. It can be easy to get caught up in the gift making process and forget about the gift giving part. However, don’t fret! Thinking about what your recipient likes, wants and needs can usually provide inspiration.

1. Get Creative!

If you still aren’t feeling prepared to make that perfect gift, or you just don’t have any ideas, think outside the box. Scarves and blankets (while lovely) aren’t your only options. Aside from the ten ideas already mentioned, there’s a couple more gift ideas to recommend, including: macrame plant hangers, painting or carving a wooden sign, writing a song or sewing throw pillows. Even making your own cards or decorating wrapping paper can add a personal touch.

As long as you follow these tips, the sky’s the limit for your homemade gifts this holiday season. Happy gifting!

Hi! I'm a Journalism and Professional Writing and Communications: Digital Filmmaking and Television double major at The College of New Jersey. I'm the president of TCNJ Lion's Television. I've always had a love for fashion and clothing design.